SRAM GXP press fit BB - wavy washer busted...

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited March 2016 in Workshop
After reading comments on here about the need to regularly service GXP BBs I thought I'd just do the one on my CR1. A remarkably simple task, not exactly sure why I've never done it before! Only issue is the wavy washer on the non-drive side was busted into 4 pieces after I unscrewed the crank. Is this normally a sacrificial part, or is it likely it was overtightened when built up (not by me I hasten to add)?
Ordered a new one from Amazon for a tenner (!) although does include replacement bearing shields....slight play in cranks without it. :cry:
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• Luv2ride wrote:
    After reading comments on here about the need to regularly service GXP BBs I thought I'd just do the one on my CR1. A remarkably simple task, not exactly sure why I've never done it before! Only issue is the wavy washer on the non-drive side was busted into 4 pieces after I unscrewed the crank. Is this normally a sacrificial part, or is it likely it was overtightened when built up (not by me I hasten to add)?
    Ordered a new one from Amazon for a tenner (!) although does include replacement bearing shields....slight play in cranks without it. :cry:
    Your post gives the impression it's gxp, it isn't if it's got a wobbly washer it's bb30. Overtightening will wreck the threads long before the washer is squashed unless the bb shell was machined too wide.
    fag packet style spacer would do a similar job if suitable thickness.
  • Scott uses the Press FiT BB86 which does use a wavy washer and yes they do break easily. I have a Giant that uses the same BB. They seem to corrode badly then snap. Maybe need more grease to protect them but they are expensive for what they are.
  • luv2ride
    Sandyballs wrote:
    Scott uses the Press FiT BB86 which does use a wavy washer and yes they do break easily. I have a Giant that uses the same BB. They seem to corrode badly then snap. Maybe need more grease to protect them but they are expensive for what they are.
    Yes, It's BB86, and I think corrosion would be the most likely cause of the washer failing, given this was the first time I'd serviced it in 2 years +
    Live and learn. Now a regular item on my maintenance schedule, especially if replacement washers are £10 a pop!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • luv2ride
    All replaced now but convinced the original wavy washer was fitted to the non-drive side when built up by the LBS (couple of years ago now). SRAM installation manual clearly states it goes on the spindle between drive side crank and washer seal. Naughty, naughty....

Surprisingly, when refitting the wavy washer I checked the bearing - still well packed with good grease and bearings are in great shape.