BB30 Noise (surprisingly enough!)

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited March 2016 in Workshop
BB30 on my CADDX is a mare!

Had it stripped down and cleaned, then it's fine for a couple of rides and starts creaking again.

No movement in the crank set, everything feels smooth.

Do I just have to grin and bear it?

Comments

• boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    I had this for ages on my CAADX until I changed it for a Wheels Manufacturing thingumybob. Silence thereafte. Do check the derailleur hanger bolts as well though, they creak if a bit loose.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Does it need new bearings rather than just a clean?

Seatpost?

Also had a click on what I thought was my BB30 but it was actually the chain quick link as it came over the last tooth on the cassette.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    cannondale invented bb30, but they seem to have trouble getting it right

my cinelli (xcr) is bb30, no issues after over 5 years of all weather year round riding, cinelli got bb30 right

things to try...

pack the bearing-shell interface with a heavy waterproof grease

degrease the above, so easy after all that grease, use a retaining compound such as loctite 609 (or 641 which isn't as strong though), i'd apply loctite 7649 primer first as the interface surfaces are probably inactive which will lead to excessive curing time or maybe a bad bond, allow a full 24 hours curing before riding - retaining compounds like this are designed for cylindrical assemblies with imperfect tolerance, but you can still remove the bearings when the time comes to replace them

btw it's also possible for the crank spindle/bearing interface to be a source of creaking, inspect the spindle carefully for any sign of fretting, grease the spindle before assembly (again make sure you use a waterproof grease)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny