Boardman Mountain Bike Pro 29er HT 2014 vs 2016 (insurance replacement) + any other suggestions

spr000
spr000 Posts: 24
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello All.

My GT Avalanche Expert 2008 was stolen recently, I had upgraded a few parts (drive train mainly XT, brakes Deore, Hope XC on Mavic X317 rim, etc).

Luckily I had insurance and I can go with Wheelies or Halfords. I was initially offered this year's Avalanche Expert (£750) plus crossride wheels and a few extras, but the Boardman Pro HTs look like great value. The 2014 version is the same price as the Expert but a better spec, the latest version is currently £899 but looks like a better spec than the old model.

GT Avalanche Expert 2016 £750: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s182p6 ... xpert-2016

Boardman Pro HT 2014 £750: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/b ... -29er-2014

Boardman Pro HT 2016 £899: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... e-pro-29er

Is the new Boardman worth £149 more than the old one (would still all come out of insurance budget)?

Also how does 2x10 compare to 1x11? I see the new Boardman has a lower top end, which may have a small effect on commutes, but they're pretty equal at the bottom end so looks OK for trail riding. I'm coming from 3x9.

Open to other suggestions but limited due to this being an insurance claim. I have up to £1100.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Boardmans have a much better fork, so that would rule out the GT, I would certainly go for the 1x11 on the latest Boardman over the 2x10 on last years, so decision made, but gearing preference is quite personal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • spr000
    Thanks Rookie. I've ruled out the GT, just included it for completeness. Gearing is one thing I'm not sure about and suspect I won't be sure about till I buy.

Just on my way back from Halfords and I liked the look of the new one much better, and better spec as well, so defo leaning toward the new one. Sat on a 19 and that felt fine. I want to sit on 16 just to rule it out, but I'm 6'1 with long legs and arms so unlikely to be a 16.
  • The Rookie
    Personally I prefer 1x gearing, in fact 3 of my four bikes are 1x and the other is a retro 1997 steel with biopace rings and 1x just wouldn't look right.

It takes a little getting used to, and you have to be prepared to man-up on the odd climb (depending on ratios) but otherwise I prefer the simplicity, lighter weight, and lack of bar clutter of 1x, and I'm currently using 1x9 with an 11-34, nothing fancy (32t up I front, 26" wheels).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • spr000
    The Boardman has a 10-42 cassette so the bottom should be fine I think, the top end is compromised as the chainring is 32 but I was mainly on the middle ring when commuting on my old 26 incher so think it will be OK most of the time. Think I've made up my mind unless someone comes up with something I've missed.

Thanks Rookie.
  • spr000
    Am I correct in thinking having a 29er means I can use road bike slicks for commuting as long as they aren't too thin?

Any recommendations?
  • spr000
    Went in store on Thursday after sorting insurance and ordered the new Boardman. Got in just in time as price went up the next day. Should be able to pick it up later today/ tomorrow.
  • The Rookie
    Cool, and yes you can fit road tyres on it for commuting, the rim width will be OK with 25mm, but personally I'd look at a 32 or 35.
  • spr000
    The Rookie wrote:
    Cool, and yes you can fit road tyres on it for commuting, the rim width will be OK with 25mm, but personally I'd look at a 32 or 35.

So loads of choice which is good, but then makes working out what to get harder.

I had Specialized All Season Pro 1 inchers on my 26er before and in hindsight they were too small. Was going to go for 28s so interesting that you recommend bigger, from a few searches I've done I take it this is about comfort?

A pure slick would be fine for roads and pavements, but wondering if there's a good compromise tire that will let you ride the odd irregular path or towpath without a Hugh effect on road speed.