Orbea bikes

mog1404
mog1404 Posts: 60
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
I have decided to finally get a new bike was going to go for the orbea rallon or canyon strive but after a long think decided that the occam am m30 was the one for me getting back to my roots of all day rides not just messing about on our home made dh tracks has anyone on here got one will it still be OK for the occasional trip to the alps and uplift days in bpw and what size do you think I should go for I'm 5ft7 the medium occam is close to a small rallon reach is a bit longer so will it be OK just to put a shorter stem if it feels to long cheers

Comments

• Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    bear in mind that the occam am has a regressive suspension layout, the difference it's not just 20 mm travel, it's nothing like the rallon, if you ride aggressive and you are a heavy lad, often bottoms out will be the norm,
    (bottom out resistance is handled only by the shock, as the suspension leverage is rising) rough trails ain't it's forte.
    If you can, go for the rallon,
    2 riding buddies have them in different specs, x30 and x10 and both are supuerb bikes and by far the most pedal friendly from any other bike in the group, except the occam 29er that I occasionaly ride
    The x10 is better spec but not like any direct sales brand
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Orbea wouldn't be my choice for the reasons above, rear suspension is a bit ropey.
    Canyon Strive has serious issues with the shapeshifter system failing, some people are on their third frame. Canyon also have serious problems with deliveries.
    Take a look at the Rose Uncle Jimbo, great bike for the money.
  • Herdwick
    Can you imagine what some people been through?
    Buying a Canyon and going through trhee frames?! that's like forever and beyond...
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • So do you think the rallon will be OK for a do it all bike gone are the days where the wife will put up with me owning 4 bikes :roll: will it be OK for 40-50 mile rides this is why I was goingoing to go for occam and suck it up on the harder downhills but now you got me thinking sucks it up on the long rides and carry on enjoying road gaps and rough downhills where have you heard the rear is ropey only heard good things about the rallon want orbea as I can test them for size at a lbs so the rose is a no go cheers for the advice tho
  • Herdwick
    Rallon has good pedaling manners, I did try it on 50+ km rides with steep climbs and the shock on trail mode, never needed to lock it out completly, on the downs is a different kind of animal, it rips!!!
    If you don't do any cross country race to the top of the hill then the rallon will fit you just fine, compared to my on-one 456 evo2 with a 150 sektor up front 1x10 and downhill tyres, even when the fork is lowered to 120 the rallon climbs way better than my hardtail in any surface, from techy short steep climbs to long drags of fire roads.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    The uncle jimbo is one of the the worst on climbing amongs the commencal amv4, even when the monarch is fully locked, every pedal stroke sags the rear suspension until you hit mid travel although it looks like it's a shock tune issue
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    I found the Uncle Jimbo climbed pretty well when I rode it. My mate flies up hills on his and I've never noticed excess bobbing when following him. Maybe it was poorly set up suspension causing it to Bob excessively.
    I seem to remember reviews on Pinkbike and Factory Jackson both saying it climbs well.
  • Cheers for the advice chaps will go take a look at the rallon on the weekend just got to decide on what colour now they got the yellow so will most likely get excited and have that so I can take it straight away rather than wait for them to get the green in for me thanks
  • Herdwick
    It doesn't quite bob (Climb mode), it sags and stays there, making the seat angle too slack, things get better when you drop the 2P pikes down to 120 but pedal strikes in thechy/rocky/rooty trails is a major problem.
    Set it at 30% sag and It rides deep in the travel when climbing, the debon air is to linear and at 30% sag it wallows to much from mid to almost full travel, fitted some volume rings in to keep it from squating to much during hard cornering and not using 90% of the travel and it turned really good, but compared with the rallon it is not that good, it needs some fidling to bring it up to your "taste" where the rallon is quite progressive from the factory and doesn't need that much of attension, set the sag and forget, 30% running fox float x with one big volume spacer that is fitted from the factory at open mode climbs better than the U.jimbo. That is my experience anyway with out saying is the perfect set up in anyway
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    Both bikes where tested by me, for quite a few rides, at my local trails according my taste on suspension feeling,
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    Strange, my mates Uncle Jimbo is absolutely nothing like that and reviews don't suggest that either.
  • Herdwick
    What shock your mate is running?
    The one my buddy owns has a monarch debon air m/m tune
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    what sag does he run? any info on suspension set up would be much appriciated !
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    He's got a Float X. To be honest I haven't liked the Monarch Debonair in either of the bikes I've owned with one fitted.
  • Herdwick
    I will agree on that, the kona process 153 with the monarch rt3 works much better, but some times it's the combo, will try and fit the jimbo with the folat x from the rallon and see what's gona happen.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut