Rear disc wheel replacement

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Been to the bike shop toady , quick gear tune up and wheel alignment.
Apparently I will soon need a new rear disc wheel.
I ride a London Road Planet x , sram rival , I have no idea on wheels, compatibility etc.
Can anyone offer advise on a decent cheap replacement .
The original wheels are badged up as Planet x.
Thanks in advance
regard
ILG

Comments

• What's wrong with your wheels? PX wheels are fully serviceable and parts can be replaced... they are trying to con you, 'm fraid
    left the forum March 2023
  • What's wrong with your wheels? PX wheels are fully serviceable and parts can be replaced... they are trying to con you, 'm fraid
    AHH HA
    Not so sure , I think they said they sounded rough and the nipples rusty.(Sounds like some of my x girlfriends!!)
    Not certain to be honest , may be they are "beyond serviceable" repair ?
    Hope they arnt conning me , they are a good LBS , But !?
    thanks
    ILG
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Would help to know your budget

In some cases you could end up paying more for a single rear wheel than for a complete new disc wheelset.

BTW you should be looking for a road disc wheel and I would suspect that the hub is the 6-bolt type rather than the Shimano centrelock system

One option I spotted is on sale at Merlin Cycles

https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build- ... 81726.html

For not much more money you could have a complete new wheelset

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing- ... 60697597uk

The Fulcrum Racing Sport is actually one of the options offered by Planet X (or at least it was when I bought my PX LR last year) and it it well regarded as a good budget level wheelset.
  • arlowood wrote:
    Would help to know your budget

In some cases you could end up paying more for a single rear wheel than for a complete new disc wheelset.

BTW you should be looking for a road disc wheel and I would suspect that the hub is the 6-bolt type rather than the Shimano centrelock system

One option I spotted is on sale at Merlin Cycles

https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build- ... 81726.html

For not much more money you could have a complete new wheelset

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing- ... 60697597uk

The Fulcrum Racing Sport is actually one of the options offered by Planet X (or at least it was when I bought my PX LR last year) and it it well regarded as a good budget level wheelset.
    Thanks for that.
    To be honest , when I bought a disc bike my wheels would last longer than a year , granted they get some hammer , may try the service route , surely someone can repair them ?
  • ilovegrace wrote:
    What's wrong with your wheels? PX wheels are fully serviceable and parts can be replaced... they are trying to con you, 'm fraid
    AHH HA
    Not so sure , I think they said they sounded rough and the nipples rusty.(Sounds like some of my x girlfriends!!)
    Not certain to be honest , may be they are "beyond serviceable" repair ?
    Hope they arnt conning me , they are a good LBS , But !?
    thanks
    ILG

Those nipples are made of brass, which cannot rust, trust me, I teach solid state chemistry at Uni. The bearings might sound rough, big deal, new bearings are 2-3 pounds each and you might only need one or two.
    They can't be bothered to do their job as it's more lucrative to sell you new wheels, which unfortunately is typical.
    left the forum March 2023
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Which wheelset did you opt for when you bought the bike.

Currently PX give you 3 choices at no extra cost

1 Fulcrum Racing Sport Disc
    2 WTB ST 119 rims on Selcof hubs
    3 Vision Team 30 Disc

Some of those options may be easier to repair than others so it might be worth asking another LBS for an opinion

Failing that there is a set of Mavic Aksium Disc wheels just posted on the classifieds (£100 posted but probably negotiable)

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13060844
  • arlowood wrote:
    Which wheelset did you opt for when you bought the bike.

Currently PX give you 3 choices at no extra cost

1 Fulcrum Racing Sport Disc
    2 WTB ST 119 rims on Selcof hubs
    3 Vision Team 30 Disc

Some of those options may be easier to repair than others so it might be worth asking another LBS for an opinion

Failing that there is a set of Mavic Aksium Disc wheels just posted on the classifieds (£100 posted but probably negotiable)

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13060844
    The wheels on tyher bike are Pxs own wheels , dont know if they are good or bad to be honest .
    i was going through a a few wheels when on rim brakes (Daily winter commuting) wearing the rims down , so that is the reason I decided to go disc.
    Going to try the service / repair option I think .Mind the Mavics look a decent buy ?
    thanks for the replies.
    regards
    ILG