Heavy duty Wall mounted Workstand & Pumps for Office

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi.

I've been given a budget of £130 to get a wall mounted workstand and a track pump to leave in the works bike shed to assist in "fixing" bikes - but not the application of oils :roll: (COSHH/Slips/Risks etc)

I'm wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations? Wall (or possibly floor) mounted stand so it's difficult to take it for a walk, and the track pump must be able to be locked via a security chain.

It's likely to be used by a mixture of people, so robustness would be appreciated, as would the ability to buy parts as they die.

I've been looking a the Park PRS-4W-1, but at ~ £150 (CRC - BC discount) it's too expensive.

Any recommendations really appreciated.

Cheers!
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Not sure if it helps but my LBS doesn't actually use work stands. They hang bikes from the ceiling rafters using bungees - cheap, easily replaceable and not too attractive to thieving toerags if that's a concern. Sorry, no idea on the track pump that already has provision for a chain but it wouldn't take much ingenuity to secure an 'ordinary' track pump by coiling one chain around it and locking that to another. That said, don't be fooled into believing that your average security chain offers much resistance to a determined individual - most are too easily cut.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • wolfsbane2k
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Not sure if it helps but my LBS doesn't actually use work stands. They hang bikes from the ceiling rafters using bungees - cheap, easily replaceable and not too attractive to thieving toerags if that's a concern. Sorry, no idea on the track pump that already has provision for a chain but it wouldn't take much ingenuity to secure an 'ordinary' track pump by coiling one chain around it and locking that to another. That said, don't be fooled into believing that your average security chain offers much resistance to a determined individual - most are too easily cut.

What a Ghetto bike shop! Sounds like a good way to avoid cracking carbon though :)
    I did the stupid thing of "propose a solution to a problem" - and then got told to implement, but they did give me more money than I expected, which is nice.
    Actually, that might work really well given the space I've got available - roof mounted drop down.

with the pump & chain, it's more to ensure we know where it is - If it goes, it goes, but it's more to avoid the accidental loss than anything else.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    these work well for holding a bike up at a comfortable height to work on drivetrain, brakes etc., i've used one for years

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Peruzzo-2-Bike- ... _35250.htm

...they're cheap, reasonably robust, and flip up out of the way when not required

use expansion bolts to secure it to the wall (assuming it's masonry), as screws and plugs will drag out over time, if it's wood i'd put bolts right through, maybe add a couple of vertical bits on the other side to spread the load

plenty left over for a pump and chain, but to protect against anything more than casual theft may not be easy: most pumps can be stripped down fairly quickly, which will defeat a simple security loop, and if the pump has, say, a hole to put a chain/whatever through i'd think it'd be possible to use the pump itself to get leverage to break it

maybe look for one that'd allow drilling holes in the base, then fix it to the floor with security bolts - makes it less convenient to use, but ok as long as the hose is a reasonable length
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • You can buy a small compressor for the price of a decent track pump, and you can bolt that to the floor......
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just get a Joe blow and a bit of chain.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Well, I've now been given enough money to get a Park Tools PRS-4W-1 or -2, so trying to work out which one people might use more often. - seat holding one, or frame holding one.

And are they really worth the extra £?

Ta