Bag or pannier

bigmonka
bigmonka Posts: 361
edited February 2016 in Commuting general
Time for a bag or pannier poll!
I'm currently trialing using a pannier but I'm not keen on the way it makes the bike feel heavier, whereas I find the weight of a bag isn't too bad. Only problem being a sweaty back isn't nice.

So what do you use? And does it depend how long your commute is?
Or do you take everything to work on a Monday and then not need a bag the rest of the time?

Comments

• Personally use a backpack. Im abit of a tart so I dont like spoiling the lines of the bike so panniers are out for me.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I do use panniers - but the back pack is my preferred. Tiny OMM pack. I carry extra clothes during winter - as the spring comes in I will break out nice bike and do without backpack as well
  • Where's the saddlebag option?
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Where's the saddlebag option?
    I've added it now - but I didn't realise it would remove all the previous votes :cry:

How big is your saddle bag that it's big enough to commute with? Or do you just travel very light?
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I carry both pannier and rucksack for different, very lazy reasons, and therefore haven't voted.

Pannier in Topbox form ( Toppeak Trunkbag DXP thing) keeps the wet/cold weather gear in at all times - a bag that rarely gets opened, so I know what's always in it. It extends to include panniers when needed, for example carrying shoes & ironed trousers/shirts to work at beginning of the week. Rarely gets taken off the bike other than to inspect/wash it, but have been glad to be able to swap from waterproof to winter jacket between morning and afternoon ride, and then still use waterproof the following morning.

Rucksack - Lunch, Laptop, pants & socks for the day. Brought into the house daily.

I've got a Camelbak Hawg NV, and the NV part seems to be of massive help in keeping my back cool, but it does mean the bag is smaller than it could be, so it's not possible to get size 13 shoes & lunch in there at the same time.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • BigMonka wrote:
    Where's the saddlebag option?
    I've added it now - but I didn't realise it would remove all the previous votes :cry:

How big is your saddle bag that it's big enough to commute with? Or do you just travel very light?

I normally just use a Carradice Super C audax bag (9ltr) with a bagman QR mounting. I also use a Camper Longflap (24ltr)for days when I need to bring more stuff in, the QR means swapping them is instantaneous.
    In the Super C I carry stuff to fix punctures, food items and clothing, (fresh shirts, trousers and undercrackers plus wet weather gear etc) I don't have to wear a suit which helps. I use the camper more in the Summer as it means I can bring in a weeks worth of gear in one trip then I can use my best bike for the rest of the week unladen.
  • pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    I use a bag on top of the pannier rack. Its about 12litres. At least the weight is central. If "aero" matters to a commuter bike, that would be it. I don't know which box to tick though.