Getting the right chainring

Spatulala
Spatulala Posts: 291
edited February 2016 in Workshop
Just got my old Trek Pilot 2.1 triple 10 speed 105 alu bike back in service for winter training, and having replaced the chain I also need a middle chainring.

Ordered this for CRC- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod18492

But I'm worried it's the wrong BCD, I'm not sure if I need 110 or 130mm.

silver 39T is what I need, and current one is marked 39D. Thanks.

IMG_6089.jpg

IMG_6088.jpg

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    39T just refers to 39 teeth. It says it's for a 105 triple, so I'd say it's the right one. All Shimano triple road cranksets use a 130 mm BCD for middle and outer rings so you can't buy the wrong size.

I did the same when I tarted up my 105 triple. Assumed since I spent 95% of the time in the middle ring and it was 7 years old that it might be worn. When the new one arrived I couldn't really tell the difference! So now I have a very lightly worn spare, which will likely last longer than I do.

Yours does however look mullered.
  • Thanks, that's great. I did try getting one from my LBS to start with who said he thought it would be a 110mm BCD, hence my confusion.

I would've paid the £30 RRP except for they said they wouldn't order it until Monday and "hopefully it will be in by next Friday"!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Spatulala wrote:
    Thanks, that's great. I did try getting one from my LBS to start with who said he thought it would be a 110mm BCD, hence my confusion.

I would've paid the £30 RRP except for they said they wouldn't order it until Monday and "hopefully it will be in by next Friday"!

Your LBS seems a bit short on technical knowledge and poor at customer service. I suggest you find a new LBS.