Shortening Sram Chain

2plus2
2plus2 Posts: 53
edited February 2016 in Workshop
Quick question, can you shorten a Sram chain by conventional means...i.e. push a regular pin out to the outer plate, remove a section of chain and push the same pin back in?

I found out the hard way that you can't do this reliably with Shimano (normal links are peened so need to use a specific joining pin)...just wondering if this applies to Sram as well.

Comments

• herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    No idea if you'd be able to re-insert the pin so chain functions as it should; it's far easier and safer to use a quick link.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I used to break and rejoin 8 speed chains like that all the time on various MTBs. When I returned to road riding everything had moved to 10 speed, and I soon found out that wasn't an option any more. As you say, shortening a 10 speed Shimano chain by pushing a pin out requires a lot more oomph since it shaves off the peened end of the pin. Bent my cheap old chain breaker handle in the process, and I've since bought a Park Tools Chain Brute which is easier to use. Chains have all been joined using KMC Missing links since then.

I imagine all 10 and 11 speed chains are manufactured to similarly tight tolerances, so you can't reuse the pins.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    You need to use a quick link for 10,11 speed chains. Older Shimano/Sram 9 speed chains were re-joinable.