Interesting Pyrenees rides?

cgraley77
cgraley77 Posts: 66
edited July 2016 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,
I've got a week booked in the Pyrenees with a friend around the TDF weekend in early July.

We're based just outside Argeles-Gazost, which seems ideal to reach the majority of the Pyrenean climbs each day of riding.

However, I'd be interested to hear from personal experience of any particular cols that are perhaps less well known and worth seeking out, or maybe a loop you once rode that has lived long in the memory?

Along similar lines - we're in close proximity to Spain. I think it would be pretty cool to do a couple of rides that cross the border - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Don't miss the Soulour-Aubisque, it is truly stunning
    left the forum March 2023
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    ^ 100% - the Cirque de Litor is just so incredible, everything you think of when you see those shots from the helicopters following the Tour in the mountains.

The biggie is clearly Tourmalet and it is quite something for sure!

A trip into Spain is always fun. Col de Portalet is not far from the bottom of Col d'Aubisque. I have only done Spain->France on it. Maybe a bit far away for you, but the Peurto de Bon Aigua (spelling?!?!?) is a really nice climb - really long (35ish km) and fairly gentle (ascent of about 1300m but tops out at about 2100m).

I did a big ride there a few years ago and it featured some nice less known climbs, Serrat du Gaye after Tourmalet, then onto Horquette d'ancizan, Col de Peyresourde etc.

There's just so much amazing stuff there. Must go back at some point!

Enjoy it.

oh - and visit Lourdes, it's bonkers but very interesting. You'll have never seen so much religious tat for sale in your life!
  • Marie Blanque? Doesn't it go to Spain?
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    From Argeles-Gazost you've got the obvious rides up the Tourmalet and Aubisque, looping back northwards in each case and returning via Lourdes. There's a great cycle track on a former railway line from Lourdes to Argeles and beyond.

Otherwise, there's not a lot of scope for loop rides because the mountains are so high towards Spain that there are no through routes. However, there are several excellent there and back rides such as to the spectacular Cirque de Gavarnie.

With car assistance you could travel further afield. I really like the Port de Bales, a very quiet and scenic climb north from the Col de Peyresourde road towards St Bertrand-de-Comminges. You could then ride back to Bagneres-de-Luchon to complete the loop. Another good loop would be the Col d'Aspin and Hourquette d'Ancizan and Col d'Azet to Arreau.

As Marcus says, the Col du Pourtalet is a lovely climb into Spain although there is no scope for a day ride loop back to Argeles. I climbed it and returned into France via the Bonaigua but over several days. The Marie Blanque leads onto the Pourtalet approach road and is a beast when riding west to east. Just checked my diary from 2013 when I rode there loaded with camping gear in hot and humid weather - the average slope percentage signs for the last 4km were 9.5, 11, 13 and 12.5 per cent, a real grind.
  • cgraley77
    Thanks all for your suggestions - some great food for thought!
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    We were around there last year, lovely area. Here's a couple of the loops we did:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/356018109
    https://www.strava.com/activities/359760700
    The western descent off the Tormalet is absolutely fantastic. Also as Mercia said the cycle track on a former railway line from Lourdes to Argeles is very pleasant, easy riding. Are you staying with Paddy at Velopeloton by any chance?
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    i did a classic cols trip with marmot tours -- most excellent -- but the point is they kindly post their routes on their web site, and our last ride ended where you stay ... so the challenge routes will give you a sense of which climbs you can easily string together. aubisque is my favourite climb in the pyrenees ... absolutely stunning climb and the one you should not miss. i also loved col d'azet, which i hadn't heard of before - relatively short and steeper. i was there around the same time as you last year, and the weather was insane. it was 30+C most days *on the summits* and then, on the tourmalet, it was about 10 at the bottom and 0 at the summit, shrouded in thick fog the entire way up.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    It may be a bit far from your base location but one of the most memorable rides for me is the decent down into Prades after climbing the Puymorens. I cant exactly remember the details but Iv looked at the map and think it was on the N116 Mont Louis. The decent seems to go on forever and its an awesome road with amazing views- if you can take your eyes off the road and the bends!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • cgraley77
    @Andcp - thanks for those strava links. Both look great and will look into giving them a go given your recommendation. We've gone for the self-book (read cheaper) Airbnb option. Always amazes me how cheaply you can get huge apartments in the mountains over the summer season!

@bikergirl - I'll check out the Marmot Tours website, thanks! Praying for similar weather to your experience, though sounds like the Pyrenean climate is extremely variable.

@kirkee - I'll check that out - thanks for the heads up!
  • cgraley77
    Hi all,
    Just a follow up on my return from a cracking week in the mountains to say cheers for the suggestions. A truly stunning place to ride a bike - I feel very lucky to be able to do so and recommend anyone who has the chance to visit the region.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    kirkee wrote:
    It may be a bit far from your base location but one of the most memorable rides for me is the decent down into Prades after climbing the Puymorens. I cant exactly remember the details but Iv looked at the map and think it was on the N116 Mont Louis. The decent seems to go on forever and its an awesome road with amazing views- if you can take your eyes off the road and the bends!

It's the col de la Perche descent... yes, fast and good fun, but climbing the first half of Puymorens in traffic is less fun