0-35 in how many weeks?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited March 2016 in Road beginners
Not ridden seriously for months, due to 'flu followed by surgery :?

So am starting from a zero miles base - no serious physical activity since before the surgery (6 weeks), which was in itself not long after 'flu (Nov) and subsequent recovery period.

There's a local event in 4 weeks' time which daps in and out of the Chilterns, so is relatively testing. The 75 is certainly beyond me, but would the 35 mile option be a possible?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd have thought that as long as you get a couple of rides in the next few weeks that 35 miles at a gentle pace should be easily achievable. But only you know how you're feeling after flu and surgery...
  • Assuming you're fully recovered from what was ailing you, then I wouldn't say you need to do any special prep. Perhaps a 10-15 mile ride first before the event to make sure you're ok, then do it.
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    Of course it's possible! Anyone with the right gearing and enough time can ride 35 miles. If you were fit before the surgery then just take it steady and you'll be reet.

If they are going "in and out of the Chilterns" then there will potentially be some steep hills, depending on the route. In which case just be careful to make sure you dont overdo it if you're still feeling a bit fragile. If you've got a compact chainset then it should all be very do-able tho.

I say get stuck in! :)
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    In fact, just stick to the advice in your signature and you'll be fine!
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Four weeks is plenty of time, especially if you had a good level of fitness before your health issues.
    Have you eaten healthily whilst off training?

Try not to push yourself too hard too soon. Four weeks is ample time to build up to 35 miles, so plan your training. Don't rush things. Eat healthily and make sure you get plenty of rest (don't sacrifice rest days).
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    What's the total ascent like? I'd be worrying about that more than the distance if I'd been off the bike for a while.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    What's the total ascent like? I'd be worrying about that more than the distance if I'd been off the bike for a while.

Don't know about overall elevation gain, but there are some pretty strong hills in there!

Thanks for advice - I may have to take things easy on the turbo first, to check that scar fully healed and doesn't cause discomfort

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Complete novices can do that type of distance. If you're over surgery then you're good to go.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Although you state haven't rides seriously for a while you've not defined how far you used to ride and how you felt doing this

The more effort you put into your recovery the further and faster you will be able to ride. 30 miles isn't that far and if you aimed to take it slowly I'd imagine that it wouldn't take long to get fit enough to do it.
  • Magem
    Magem Posts: 29
    I don't see why not. My wife went from 0 miles experience to 100 miles in 8 weeks. (although she had no ailments).
    But i think you'll be surprised how cycle fit you can get in a short space of time.
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    I've not pushed a pedal in anger since 2nd November last year when Forehead Jr was born. This is the longest I've been off the bike in many years, I feel very fat, heavy and tired (not all because of the lack of riding!).

I'm going to try to start getting some miles in during the next few week (picking up the commute again) and am confident I can get back to previous fitness.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Forehead wrote:
    I've not pushed a pedal in anger since 2nd November last year when Forehead Jr was born. This is the longest I've been off the bike in many years, I feel very fat, heavy and tired (not all because of the lack of riding!).

I'm going to try to start getting some miles in during the next few week (picking up the commute again) and am confident I can get back to previous fitness.

My latest was born on the 16th November so I know how you feel! Only two outside rides this year, totalling 40 miles! However it's also coincided with me getting going on Zwift so my fitness is not too bad :D
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Maybe you should buy a triple with a 28 front c'ring and a 32 on the rear. There's some great advice on a thread on here about standard or compact chain sets. Honest.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Still going on? 35 miles is nothing for anyone who has previous experience of riding a bike properly, which you have and you've done this ride before so know what to expect. In normal times you'd knock this out in about 2 hours or so, with a lack of fitness it'll be closer to 3 hours and a bit of walking if it goes up that climb nr Berkhamstead, but the 35 mile route probably won't. The question is do fancy riding your bike at a steady pace for up to 3 hours?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    The OP never said what 'surgery' he had... :shock:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I'm curious, what's the ride?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I'm curious, what's the ride?
    This one I expect. http://www.renniegrove.org/support/our- ... -challenge
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pinno wrote:
    There's some great advice on a thread on here about standard or compact chain sets. Honest.

Yeah, especially about the fish. Seriously, so much was covered in that topic that I'm sure there must be something of value there.