10sp tiagra with xt rear mech and 11-36 cassette

oodboo
oodboo Posts: 2,171
edited March 2016 in Workshop
As above really. I'm looking at replacing my chainrings, chain and cassette soon and was wondering about switching to 1x.

I've got a 2015 Genesis Croix de Fer 20 with the stock tiagra rear mech and 10sp tiagra shifters.

The cheaper option is to stay 10sp and get a xt rear mech, reason for the xt is for the clutch and increased capacity for a larger cassette.

The more expensive option would be to upgrade my shifters as well to 11sp, probably 105, and get a xt 11sp rear mech and 11-40 cassette, this would allow for a larger chainring.

Let me worry about gear ratios, what I'd lose in the top/bottom end etc. It's my bike and my choice. I'm just wondering about tiagra/105 compatibility with mtb rear mechs. So would either of these work? Is the cable pull different from MTB to road?

Thanks
I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava

Comments

• oodboo
    Never mind. Found the answer and it's no.

9sp would've worked but everyting changed for 10sp so the shifting would never be right. There are suggestions about using a 9sp deraileur with 10sp shifter and cassette but afaik you can't get a 9sp deraileur with a clutch, so that's out.

Might just have to stick with 2x.

Strava
  • You can use a 9 speed XT derailleur... I use one on my cross bike. It's a shadow one, so no barrel adjuster, but I have added an inline one and it works very well.

Check page 9

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12942781&hilit=fugio&start=160
    left the forum March 2023
  • oodboo
    That's not a bad idea but I was hoping for a clutch mech to go 1x. Maybe just a NW chainring would be enough to keep the chain on. I do go pretty fast down some rough tracks though.

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:
    That's not a bad idea but I was hoping for a clutch mech to go 1x. Maybe just a NW chainring would be enough to keep the chain on. I do go pretty fast down some rough tracks though.

You might need a clutch to go up to 40 and then down to 11, but if you limit the range to 36, you should be fine without, using a long cage
    left the forum March 2023
  • oodboo wrote:
    I have a sora 9 speed set up as a 1x with the short cage rear mech and runing 12 -32 with no clutch and a narrow/wide 40 tooth chainring (raceface). I have ridden it pretty fast on some bumpy bridle paths/across grassy fields and on one of the Wiggle cyclo sportives on the Ridgeway with no loss of chain at all. There might be more risk with the larger range of gears you are planning on covering thougth so YMMV.
  • oodboo
    Thanks for the replies, looks like I've got a few options. The shiftmate looks like a good idea I've never heard of but I don't fancy adding extra bits on. 9 speed xt deraileurs seem to cost more than new 10 speed ones and I'm also concerned that I'm going to need to replace my 2x chainset with a 3x or single ring specific one to maintain the chain line. Anyway, thanks for your input. Going to give it a bit more thought before deciding which way to go.

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:
    As above really. I'm looking at replacing my chainrings, chain and cassette soon and was wondering about switching to 1x.

I've got a 2015 Genesis Croix de Fer 20 with the stock tiagra rear mech and 10sp tiagra shifters.

The cheaper option is to stay 10sp and get a xt rear mech, reason for the xt is for the clutch and increased capacity for a larger cassette.

The more expensive option would be to upgrade my shifters as well to 11sp, probably 105, and get a xt 11sp rear mech and 11-40 cassette, this would allow for a larger chainring.

Let me worry about gear ratios, what I'd lose in the top/bottom end etc. It's my bike and my choice. I'm just wondering about tiagra/105 compatibility with mtb rear mechs. So would either of these work? Is the cable pull different from MTB to road?

Thanks
    the rear derailleurs on 10 speeds should work just fine....
    I did once run a Claud Butler with 6600 Ultegra with a SLX 9 speed combo...no problem for years, all is good.
  • oodboo
    852Kompol wrote:
    the rear derailleurs on 10 speeds should work just fine....
    I did once run a Claud Butler with 6600 Ultegra with a SLX 9 speed combo...no problem for years, all is good.
    As I said earlier, the cable pull ratios changed for 10 speed and road/mtb compatibility ended.

Strava
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Run 105/Xt on the XLS,took a bit of setting up and needed the inline adjuster to work properly;had a couple of chain drops(one pushing off in wrong gear,the other hacking it over a raised crossing)and sometimes it needs a double push to change,could probably set it up a bit better but as it's fine 95% of the time I can't really be arsed.
    Only thing I might do is try a single specific chainring.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra