Genesis Equilibrium size advice

cyclingvigilante
cyclingvigilante Posts: 14
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, I'm a bit of a lurker on this forum but would like some opinions on what frame size I should go for.

Genesis equilibrium geometry:
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/sportive/equilibrium-20

I used a bike fit calculator and it recommends the following, I'm just over 6' or 184cm.

Body Measurements:
Units: cm
Height: 184
Sternal Notch Height: 152.00
Inseam Length: 89.00
Tigh Length: 39.00
Arm length: 66.50
Shoulder Width: 38.00
Foot Length: 28.00

Bicycle Sizing Recommendations:
Seat Tube Length (c-c): 59.4 cm 23.4 inch
Seat Tube Angle: 75.0 deg
Crank Arm Length: 170.0 - 172.5 mm 6.7 - 6.8 inch
Saddle-Pedal Length: 96.0 - 97.5 cm 37.8 - 38.4 inch
Top tube Length: 56.0 cm 22.0 inch
Stem Length: 105.0 - 110.0 mm 4.1 - 4.3 inch
Handlebar Width: 38.0 - 39.0 cm 15.0 - 15.4 inch

:D

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I can give you some info from my own experience having built up a standard road Equilibrium and following that a Disc Equilibrium.

I am a tad under 6' tall with an inseam of 32/33 ". In both cases I chose the "56" frame as they were designated then where the TT length was more or less bang on 560mm. For my preference I used a 90mm stem and an inline seatpost and with that set-up both bikes were perfect for me.

With your measurements I suspect that you are somewhat between the M and L sizes shown on the Geometry chart (561mm TT and 579mmTT respectively). If you are between sizes then the received wisdom is to opt for the smaller frame as it's regarded as easier to change parameters on the smaller frame to get a good fit than "downsize" a frame that is too big.

My advice would be to find a stockist near to you and get your leg over a Medium and a Large frame and see how they feel - take them for a test ride if possibe
  • That's very helpful I had been thinking 58cm but it makes sense to try out a 56cm - sounds like it might be more suitable, thanks very much!
  • Ignore that bike fit calculator. 60cm centre to centre is 62 CTT (top tube) or probably 64 CTT (top of seat tube / seat clamp). Massive frame size for someone your size! Also narrow bars and short cranks. Measure your existing bike to compare and go try in a shop. I reckon 56 will be the best fit.

Was it the competitive cyclist bike fit calculator? I had similar frame size results from that. Way too big.
  • The bike shop sent me geometry info, the bike is a couple of years old and apparently current geometry is different - Genesis seem to do only 5 sizes now instead of 6 but with a wider size rage so totally different geometry.
    genesisequilibrium56.png

Judging by toptube length the 58cm may be a better fit for me, I'm planning to do the Dunwich run so I'm looking for a bike that's comfortable over long distance.

I used the pedalforce bike fit calculator http://pedalforce.com/online/bikefit.php as i couldn't get any sense out of the competitive cyclist one. :?