New Chainrings are Noisy - Chain line issue?

211dave112
211dave112 Posts: 125
edited February 2016 in Workshop
A bit of back ground...

I have a Mekk Poggio that I've upgraded with a full 105 5800 groupset (52x36 - 11-28). It was setup and working fine with no odd noises though it's my crit racing bike so it hasn't only been ridden for a quick shakedown ride ahead of the new season.

I bought some Rotor Q-rings to try. The FD was adjusted as necessary, i.e. moved up a bit to 'clear' the teeth as the oval rotates. The front change is quick - almost as good as with round rings - and there is absolutely no rubbing in any gear choices when using the trims at the extremes.

However, when in the small chainring and at the upper end of the cassette (from about 23 - 28) there is a clicking noise coming from where chainring. Upon closer inspection it almost looks like the noise occurs when the chain 'seats' fully on the chainring - it seems that this is due to the chain 'connecting' with the chainring at too much of an angle but this really shouldn't be the case as small chainring > big cassette is not cross-chaining at all!

Has anyone come across something like this before? Could it potentially be something that happens when all the components are brand new and haven't meshed together (unlikely I think but I'm clutching at straws!).

I have checked and re-checked the FD set-up, the chainring bolts are tight, the chain lubed well, the cassette is brand new and the chain has only done the quick shakedown ride so shows zero signs of wear.

Any advice gratefully received!! :D

Comments

• bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    edited February 2016
    Sounds almost as if the drive side of the chainset is sitting too far out. May be worth checking the chainset is sitting flush to the drive side bb cup, and that there is no spacer inadvertently fitted? Not sure about 105 5800, but I removed a 5700 chainset last year to fit a 6800 and the 5700 required a small spacer (on the non drive side) whereas the 6800 did not.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • Sounds almost as if the drive side of the chainset is sitting too far out...

...could be onto something there. Did remove chain set to change the rings. Guess it's a possibility that something didn't seat flush when re-assembling.

I'll add it to my list of 'things to try'.

8)
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Is the chainring fitted with the recessed holes for the bolt heads facing in towards the frame ?
  • MikeBrew wrote:
    Is the chainring fitted with the recessed holes for the bolt heads facing in towards the frame ?

I think so - on the inner ring it actually has a little logo saying 'this side towards the frame' or something similar