A very modest house in Burley

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited March 2016 in The cake stop
Didn't know how to title this, and pretty sure that it's unlikely to generate many if any responses. However I just wanted to share this little story that appeared in my local news paper the New Milton Advertiser & Lymington Times.
I shall precis the story as such:

A retired MD of a local development firm had an application for his own new build rejected by the parish council of Burley (small village to east of Ringwood, famed for witchcraft shops and saturday coffee stop for cyclists) and also rejected by the National Park Authority. On the grounds of it's size/bulk/mass etc etc.

The proposal was to demolish some old outbuildings on land acquired and replace with a 3 storey (total height 19 mtrs),
8 bedroom(all ensuite) mansion, surrounded by a moat with 4 bridges to access the property.
The planning agent/architect acting for the client described the redevelopment as MODEST!

On what planet does the architect live to describe that as modest?

They have now lodged an appeal to the planning inspectorate, who I am sure will grant permission. This based on experience and seeing them in action.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Some people's perspectives can seem a bit skewed.

I recall a woman on Dragon Den some years back. She was an ex-director (or somesuch) of Mothercare and she wanted to set up a sort of dress agency for executive women. She envisioned that it would take a year to get off the ground and wanted something like £120,000 from the Dragons, 30,000 of which was for the marketing.

When asked what the other 90,000 was for, she explained that was her salary for the year.

Dragons were a bit aghast at this and told her that, usually, when someone starts a business they have to expect to get by on very little, and take a pay cut.

She said "When you've been on £180,000 a year, I can assure you, 90k is a pay cut!"

Last one I ever watched.

(numbers might have been different, but they're in the ballpark)

The older I get, the better I was.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,315
    Mr Goo wrote:
    The planning agent/architect acting for the client described the redevelopment as MODEST!
    Describe it as modest in the hope that the council won't look at the propsal properly and assume it's not a big house?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I used to live there and I assure you that only having one moat is considered a paucity in Burley, that won't even keep the donkeys out.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    I guess they were referring to the development as modest rather than the house and one (albeit very large) house on a site that could potentially fit maybe 10 smaller new builds could arguably be described as modest. Either that or the architect described exactly how his client, paying him a massive fee, told him to describe it!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    -10 points for me. I was expecting a plot twist with a mosque.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    It depends on the size of the original buildings.
    Ive just increased my own property by 600sqm in the greenbelt and its flown through.
    A lot depends on the size of land and previous buildings.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    Ive just increased my own property by 600sqm in the greenbelt and its flown through.
    Have you added another terminal to your airport?
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I love the Waitrose essientials range!! There was some very nice Smoked Bavarian Cheddar in it the other day, An absolute essiential along with the Greek Piemento Olives with Feta.
  • mr_goo
    VTech wrote:

The thing is VTech. It is actually in a village inside the NF National Park, and the road in which he proposes said monstrosity has very modestly sized properties (cottages). He wishes to demolish old stable blocks and out buildings.

Do we all get an invite to your new multiplex?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • VTech
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:

The thing is VTech. It is actually in a village inside the NF National Park, and the road in which he proposes said monstrosity has very modestly sized properties (cottages). He wishes to demolish old stable blocks and out buildings.

In fairness the main reason I passed was due to the properties not being equal and so no change of scenery.
    I placed a new garage in front of my home which is not permitted but due to the nature of the land it was passed.
    A lot does depend on the way the properties look from the curbside although I am now of the understanding that there are no rules as such, only guidelines.
    Living MY dream.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    VTech wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:

In fairness the main reason I passed was due to the properties not being equal and so no change of scenery.
    I placed a new garage in front of my home which is not permitted but due to the nature of the land it was passed.
    A lot does depend on the way the properties look from the curbside although I am now of the understanding that there are no rules as such, only guidelines.

wtf do you keep in a 600sqm garage?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,682

He has some nice bikes :)
  • orraloon wrote:

He has some nice bikes :)

That's a big garage. Perhaps he means feet . . . or inches.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    There's planning regulations which specify the proportion of the new extension in relation to the original building. Basically it can't cover the whole side of a house. I've actually bothered to read it. If you get a copy I'm sure you can find out ways to increase your house size without even needing to get planning permission. There's summaries online too.
  • VTech
    I think you misunderstood, I was referring to the rear of the house as the 600sqm which was a double rear extension to the house.
    I had already built a 150sqm extension to the side of the house for the kitchen but this was over 4 years ago and so didn't need planning as i did it under permitted rights and time had passed for objection.

The garage is 620sqm which is built over 2 floors in the garden.
    The issue was that planning in its own right means you can't build in front of the house but this is to protect the street line, my house is different as its a long way from any roads so the logical place was at the lowest point of the land at the bottom of the drive which meant less impact on the scenery and with this in mind they granted planning.
    Living MY dream.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    VTech? What happened to the move to Essex?
  • VTech
    Ballysmate wrote:

I have been involved in a legal matter for a couple of years which has only just finished so although we wanted to move we really couldn't due to certain things so now its over we have been looking and have found a few places we are going to view in the next week or so.
    Living MY dream.
  • Ballysmate wrote:

Yes! I return and my dreams come true!

If this happens it may get me out of my post america funk...

Come on VTech a lot depends on u!
  • VTech wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

I have been involved in a legal matter for a couple of years which has only just finished so although we wanted to move we really couldn't due to certain things so now its over we have been looking and have found a few places we are going to view in the next week or so.

Where abouts in essex VTech? Keen to give my opinions. Also can advise on good schools etc.

The north of the county I hope???
  • VTech
    We were thinking around Halstead but as you say, schools are vital as we have two kids in school at the moment.
    Living MY dream.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,493
    VTech wrote:
    I think you misunderstood, I was referring to the rear of the house as the 600sqm which was a double rear extension to the house.
    I had already built a 150sqm extension to the side of the house for the kitchen but this was over 4 years ago and so didn't need planning as i did it under permitted rights and time had passed for objection.

The garage is 620sqm which is built over 2 floors in the garden.
    The issue was that planning in its own right means you can't build in front of the house but this is to protect the street line, my house is different as its a long way from any roads so the logical place was at the lowest point of the land at the bottom of the drive which meant less impact on the scenery and with this in mind they granted planning.
    That's some garage - reminds me to ask, got a delivery date for that Ferrari you ordered? (remember you saying you had no delivery date as it was a 2016 release but can't remember the model name?)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • VTech wrote:
    We were thinking around Halstead but as you say, schools are vital as we have two kids in school at the moment.

would recommend, nice traditional essex small market town, one of the few left, that hasnt been ruined by overdevelopment and crap planning (yet).

also decent cycling country for essex, more hilly than most of the county towards the NW corner, can access the east anglian heights (yes they are a thing google it!) easily enough on long rides, and lots of nice quiet lanes with rolling terrain and nice little villages in that part of essex.

plus not million miles form the underrated north essex and suffolk coasts.

assume a man of your means is interested in private schools, so school wise it near enough to co-ed felsted (probably 30 min commute) which is a fine school (im not an old boy, but 2 nephews recently started and i have played cricket with many felsted boys (thats not a euphemism!)), or if not private then alternatively the former newport grammar in saffron walden or the country leading colchester royal grammar (a very good school!), and colchester county high for girls.
  • VTech
    I am not really into private schools although yesterday we took my youngest son to a school football match which was private and it was in a different league.
    I went to a council school and it did me ok, we are lucky enough to live in stratford upon avon and my kids go to an awesome school which is outstanding on ofstead reports so I would love to get them into something similar. I would rather save the money in private education and buy them a house to start their life with.

As for the Ferrari, that is now a dream as I had a few issues in 2015 that meant this was no longer an option so spot has gone to a friend.
    Living MY dream.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Is that the same Stratford Upon Avon school that Ofsted have currently given a ‘Requires Improvement’ grade to?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,493
    VTech wrote:
    As for the Ferrari, that is now a dream as I had a few issues in 2015 that meant this was no longer an option so spot has gone to a friend.
    Too bad. I'm sure the next toy will not be too far away so you can fill that rather large garage and post a few pics.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • VTech
    Is that the same Stratford Upon Avon school that Ofsted have currently given a ‘Requires Improvement’ grade to?

No, it was given an outstanding.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    I am not really into private schools although yesterday we took my youngest son to a school football match which was private and it was in a different league.
    I went to a council school and it did me ok, we are lucky enough to live in stratford upon avon and my kids go to an awesome school which is outstanding on ofstead reports so I would love to get them into something similar. I would rather save the money in private education and buy them a house to start their life with.

fine don't move!!!
  • VTech
    I was only saying that even if affordable, I think a good local school is enough for kids to get by. I just have never seen the true benefit of private over a good village school.
    I may have felt different if the choices were an inner city school but I only based my comment on the situation I am personally in which places my kids in an amazing environment which isn't private.
    Living MY dream.
  • mr_goo
    VTech wrote:
    I was only saying that even if affordable, I think a good local school is enough for kids to get by. I just have never seen the true benefit of private over a good village school.
    I may have felt different if the choices were an inner city school but I only based my comment on the situation I am personally in which places my kids in an amazing environment which isn't private.

When it comes to secondary education you may think about private schools. If I had the financial resources I would have paid for both my two to have gone to the local private establishment.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    assume a man of your means is interested in private schools, so school wise it near enough to co-ed felsted (probably 30 min commute) which is a fine school (im not an old boy, but 2 nephews recently started and i have played cricket with many felsted boys (thats not a euphemism!)), or if not private then alternatively the former newport grammar in saffron walden or the country leading colchester royal grammar (a very good school!), and colchester county high for girls.

My sister lives just down the road from that school and is getting married there next year. I wish we'd had sports grounds like it at my secondary school!