Puncture proofing

pinno
pinno Posts: 52,108
edited March 2016 in Workshop
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Quite interesting. I didn't find slime tubes much use. This does look more effective though.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,108
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Only problem I can see is that it dries up in a few months and no way to clean out the sealant from a tube. Since most of my tubes last 2+ years that could get a little heavy for lightweight wheels and pricey. I would sure try it for touring though.
  • Poitr
    Poitr Posts: 35
    I've been doing that since the 90s.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I made a post in GD the other day about it, and Ugo's comments seem valid about it dries out and blocks the valves.
    but for the winter months it might be worth sacrificing a pair of tubes if it eases the effort of changing a tube in the cold and wet.

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13060279
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    I been using OKO heavy duty off road sealant. It's water-based so never dries up. It actually works unlike Slime and has saved me fixing every puncture I've had whilst out. Occasionally the tube will go down overnight after puncturing-so patch as normal. It has to be injected with a large syringe and hose (it's v thick) with the valve cores removed so conti or schwalbe (removable valves) tubes are best.
    Once up and riding it doesn't slosh about inside the tubes so you never notice it's there. Very seldomly the valves can clog, but it's usually easy to clear. Installing the valves with some silicone grease cures this. Also don't pump up the tyres with the valve at the bottom, it'll get messy!
  • jermas wrote:
    I been using OKO heavy duty off road sealant. It's water-based so never dries up. It actually works unlike Slime and has saved me fixing every puncture I've had whilst out. Occasionally the tube will go down overnight after puncturing-so patch as normal. It has to be injected with a large syringe and hose (it's v thick) with the valve cores removed so conti or schwalbe (removable valves) tubes are best.
    Once up and riding it doesn't slosh about inside the tubes so you never notice it's there. Very seldomly the valves can clog, but it's usually easy to clear. Installing the valves with some silicone grease cures this. Also don't pump up the tyres with the valve at the bottom, it'll get messy!

Interesting, do you have a link for the product and how much do you use?
  • jermas
    edited March 2016
    Here's a link to the manufacturer http://www.oko.com/products/off-road-products/oko-puncture-free-off-road-in-bottles/. I bought mine locally, but ebay has it. They do a bicycle specific version. It's more expensive but propably v similar I'd imagine.
    I put 70ml-80ml in each tube (for a 25mm tyre). I've not tried it with less but might do so one day. A large syringe is needed together with a flexible tube. I use a auto brake bleeding tube which is ideal and readily available.
  • jermas
    One other thing - I don't think it'll stop snake bite punctures but haven't any proof of this.
  • Many thanks for the reply, might well give it a try.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Only problem I can see is that it dries up in a few months and no way to clean out the sealant from a tube. Since most of my tubes last 2+ years that could get a little heavy for lightweight wheels and pricey. I would sure try it for touring though.

I think there is a misconception here. If you put e.g. 40 grams of sealant in, once it's dried up (after a few months, say) there is nothing like 40 grams left in the tube. I don't know exactly how much in weight, but I suspect a lot, lot less than 40 grams.

If you google "tubeless sealant dried up" and look at the images, you can see it is just wispy bits of latex that are left. Probably weighs sod all.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It will also clog up the valve kn the long run i have found this when preloading tubs. I also find it is not very effective with butyl tubes but with latex tubes it is also latex sealant works better in tubulars but agin can clog the valve so it only make sense for regularly used tubs.

If you puncture proof use schwable marathon plus tyres howver do that if you slowing yourself down. Sealant is for tubeless tyres. If you are still using tubes then accept the inevitable and stop moaning about it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • It will also clog up the valve kn the long run i have found this when preloading tubs. I also find it is not very effective with butyl tubes but with latex tubes it is also latex sealant works better in tubulars but agin can clog the valve so it only make sense for regularly used tubs.

If you puncture proof use schwable marathon plus tyres howver do that if you slowing yourself down. Sealant is for tubeless tyres. If you are still using tubes then accept the inevitable and stop moaning about it.

Blimey you're a cheery old bugga aren't you? Perhaps you should move along and find a puppy to kick whilst we discuss the topic in hand.