Chain lube recommendation

fleshtuxedo
fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
So the Kmc lube that was always my favourite can't be found anywhere any more :(

What's the next best lube out there? Not too thin, not too wet....

Comments

• kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    This seems to get asked a lot.
    Said this before.......Chainsaw oil from Toolstation (if your in the UK). Cheap, very good chain lube and get a free coffee when your there.
    Defo not too thin, poss too wet? Remove all excess if dry weather.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Squirt
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Squirt

+1
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Finish Line Dry (the red bottle) does the job.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pretty sure that most chain lubes will do the job, tbh...
  • Working my way through a bottle of Progold Prolink.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • markmw
    markmw Posts: 131
    Working my way through a bottle of Progold Prolink.
    +1 great stuff
  • Another +1 - lovely stuff, the only lube I've bought more than once, many times now in fact. Ultra thin and non-sticky, it keeps the chain really clean with no build up of gunge. It's not very waterproof but I relube every week at least anyway.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    kirkee wrote:
    This seems to get asked a lot.
    Said this before.......Chainsaw oil from Toolstation (if your in the UK). Cheap, very good chain lube and get a free coffee when your there.
    Defo not too thin, poss too wet? Remove all excess if dry weather.

I am very tempted to follow this strategy. If you work out the cost per 100ml branded chain lube is very expensive and if you are riding in wet and gritty conditions then slopping it around is not a good idea. Using chainsaw oil is much cheaper.

Muc off dry lube £4.75 for 120ml

Chainsaw oil £3.84 for 1000ml
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    chainsaw oil is the wrong kind of lube for a bicycle chain. Too much stuff will stick to it and regular cleaning will therefore be required. It is however better than WD40.

Rock n roll for me because it a) works well, b) nothing sticks to it and finally c) it cleans the chain pretty well when lubing. Road CC did a review recently.
    http://road.cc/show/tags/rock-n-roll-2016/104691
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • You're getting ripped on your chainsaw oil - I buy 5 litres for 7 Euros (and I get through a good 25 litres a year!).

But I wouldn't use it on a bike chain though. I've tried lots of different lubes but have come back to good old Shimano Wet lube. Rub the chain down every few rides with WD40 to keep it clean and keep the lube 'fluid'.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    squirt
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    You're getting ripped on your chainsaw oil - I buy 5 litres for 7 Euros

I use veg oil comes in 25litres drums, smells nicer & more enviro
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    I see your veg oil, and raise you Chanel No.5. :wink:
    If it is thick enough to stick, it needs washing, if it is thinner it won't last. You cannot win.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    You're getting ripped on your chainsaw oil - I buy 5 litres for 7 Euros

I use veg oil comes in 25litres drums, smells nicer & more enviro

Nice idea, but I'd be wary of that; chainsaw oil is thicker and has an anti-fling additive that keeps it sticking to the chain. I'd think veg oil would just get flung right off. The chain is moving at about 60mph.