N-1

meesterbond
meesterbond Posts: 1,240
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Some thoughts / opinions / completely biased prejudices etc please…

I’ve decided to go to n-1… go from two nice summer bikes to one, really nice summer bike.
The R5 was rarely ridden and has gone and the S5 will be sold as soon as I’ve made my mind up on what’s replacing the pair of them. I’ve got most of the finishing kit (303’s, etap, 3D+ & P2M, Zipp stem and bars) but just cannot decide on the frame.

Each time I think I’m settled, I see something pretty and it changes my mind.
90% of my riding is on the flat (solo, chain gangs etc) so something more on the aero side would be a preference, but it will be used on the annual jaunts to the mountains, so as light as possible please. It won’t be raced (vanity purchase? Absolutely)

Current favourite is the Parlee ESX but in the past month I’ve gone from a new Cervelo S5 to the Dogma F8, C60, back to the S5, Indy Fab TiFLW, Time Skylon and then the ESX. I’ve got spreadsheets to try and add a bit of science to the decision but still can’t decide.

So, what do you reckon? What am I missing?

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Whats wrong with the Cervelos? They'd be pretty high on most peoples list.
  • meesterbond
    trek_dan wrote:
    Whats wrong with the Cervelos? They'd be pretty high on most peoples list.

I very rarely rode the R5, preferring the S5 so seemed a waste having it sat around (plus I was able to do a mate a good deal on it) The S5 is very slightly too big for me (it's a 56 and I probably need a 54), it doesn't take 25mm tyres and frankly, I fancy a bit of a change.

I guess I'm after something that ticks both the lightweight and aero boxes a little more completely.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Budget? Or isn't there one?

I think it will be hard to tick this particular box. I have an R5Ca and an S5. They're set up to do very different jobs: the 5Ca is a lightweight climber for club runs, fast sportives and Alpine trips; the S5 is halfway to a TT bike, with 808s and Zefiros; it's for Regent's Park and fast, flat rides like the Tour of Cambridge.

I could imagine an S3 letting me bridge the two, with wheel changes and seatpost reversal, but it would only get within 90% of the S5 and maybe 70% of the 5Ca. You could I suppose say the same of any of the other light-ish aero bikes out there (Madone 9, Venge, Propel etc) - they'll never be as light or as comfortable as the R5, and they won't be (quite) as fast as the S5.

In your place, unless there was some absolutely driving reason to have just one bike (in which case I'd have an RCa, because RCa), I'd do what I've done - push both bikes to the extreme edges of their envelopes, so that it's really obvious which one to use for what.
  • meesterbond
    There's always a budget unfortunately, and this one doesn't really stretch to an RCA. Although having had a number of Cervelos I think it's time for a change.

My thinking was that rather than having two nice bikes with reasonable finishing kit, one of which I never used, I'd chop them in for one fully pimped out bike that I would use throughout the summer. Sure, they're not going to be at either end of the aero / weight weenie spectrum, but by spending a reasonable amount I can get something that does both very well.

I did look at the Madone 9 and it's a very impressive bit of kit, but given the integration really should be bought as a full bike and £9k is a bit much.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Look 795?

Rare, interesting, light, aero...
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Are you only looking carbon, if so why not get something custom like a Sarto or a Legend, get measured up to find your ideal riding position and get something tuned to you?

If not then custom steel like the Repete Reborn, take the OH to Prague for the weekend, get measured, chose the spec, colour etc and bob's your uncle.

If I was getting a do it all superbike it wouldn't be off the peg.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Most people get by just fine with one bike. If you think you need one aero bike and one climbing bike because of 200 or 300g weight difference I think your over estimating the importance of the bike versus legs totally.
    I agree with Jesse D, buy bespoke and it'll last forever. How about Wyndy Milla?
  • meesterbond
    trek_dan wrote:
    Most people get by just fine with one bike. If you think you need one aero bike and one climbing bike because of 200 or 300g weight difference I think your over estimating the importance of the bike versus legs totally.
    I agree with Jesse D, buy bespoke and it'll last forever. How about Wyndy Milla?

That was more the point - get something that's maybe not as extreme at either end of the spectrum but does both well. I definitely can't afford two expensive summer bikes, but by selling the two I've got, I can stretch to one...

Custom is a possibility (hence the Ti Factory Lightweight consideration) although if I went that way it would be through Indy Fab again. I can get a good fit on many 'standard' frames though, and I'm not after anything particularly odd so I'm not sold on the need.

Look 795 - nice but couldn't find anyway to get a crank based powermeter on it with the Zed cranks (which seems to be a significant selling point of the bike). Plus it has looks only a mother could love.
  • JesseD
    If you don't want to go down the custom route, then have you considered Stork or Colnago, I also believe Sarto and Legend make off the peg bikes, not sure about Pinarello for me as association with Team Sky has made them a bit too mainstream for me (although if I was given one I wouldn't say no), maybe top end Treks like the new Madone? I am sure Leightweight make a frame as well although I don't know much about it. Or if you go French, maybe a Time frameset?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Aero benefits are mostly marketing. Just look at your frontal area compared to a bikes. So I'd forget about aero and just get a pretty bike.

If you can't decide then stay with what you have until you fall in love with something. I think the best part of shopping for a new bike is before you actually decide - all possibilities are there for you.

Once you get a new bike you soon adapt to it and it becomes 'normal'.
  • Smirf
    Smirf Posts: 123
    I was luckily been in a very similar position. I have always lusted for a parlee, and was in a position that someone had offered to buy my Argon Frame. So I thought sod it! I am keeping my groupset (newish) and have 2 sets of decent wheels.

But when you shop around, there are some amazing bikes and I nearly went for the Madone 9 series frame. The technology on that peeks the inner-geek. I also looked at the new Cervelo S5, but D’kd that on the basis 2 mates I ride a lot with ride cervelos! Echo JesseD about the Pinarello. Wouldn't say no – especially when I saw one in white, but it says to me “trying to hard” – also supposedly very unreliable in delivery

Really liked the look of Festka. Some lovely frames on there, but ultimately, boiled it back down a Parlee Altum (the Cyclist review of the ESX put me off, and the position of the rear brake too), and the Madone. I went for a fit at a shop that sold both so we could then see what sizes of each would suit me. In the end, I went with the heart and not the head and plumped for the Parlee. Ultimately I rationalised it down to:

Didn't like the integrated bar and stem. Very little flexibility to change angles, plus if the fit is slightly out, felt a bit screwed
    It’s a fast bike. It needs to be ridden fast. Not sure you can ride it and have a “cruise” day with mates!
    No disrespect to Trek (a 5-series was the bike that got me on a Carbon frame from Ti), but spending that money, I fancied something less mainstream
    I would still want to buy a Parlee!

And ultimately I do a lot of climbing so that helped the decision. Just have to wait for it to be painted and delivered!

Best of luck choosing!!
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
    Trek Triton Singlespeed - "commuter"
  • meesterbond
    Thanks for all the comments - I guess ultimately there are no bad bikes at this level so it's always going to be a heart over head decision...

I had seen the review of the ESX and the apparent brake rub at the back. I've put the question to the shop selling them so we'll see what they say, whether they've had that feedback before. If I lived in a more hilly place then I'd definitely go for the Altum, but I think the decision is probably between the ESX and the F8 (I know, but from the moment the press shots were released I've lusted after one - Sky connections or not).
  • JesseD
    At the end of the day you have to ride the bike and if it gives you that urge to want to get out on it then who cares if others don't like them, I know I wouldn't give a toss.

Looking forward to the pictures in the "Your Road Bikes" section once you have it built up!
  • meesterbond
    I think I'm settled on the Parlee, assuming I can get a good position on it - booked in for a mini-fit next week. Just need to decide whether to go with the matt black finish or to liven it up with a bit of colour (for a price of course).

The dealer was well aware of the Cyclist review as I believe they provided the bike that was tested... apparently no one else could replicate the brake rub that the 150lb tester managed to achieve and it wasn't a complaint they've ever had before or since. Make of that what you will...
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Never thought Id say it but I saw an F8W Pinerello the other day and loved the look of it. External BB too.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • S works tarmac?
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • meesterbond
    Just as an update on this...

Had the bike fit (more of a confirmation of the measurements they did last time) and talked through my 3 options...

The fit on the F8 wasn't going to be great - a bit too long and low for my shape.
    I was a little between sizes on the Madone. I really, really liked the Trek (and I never thought I'd be saying that) but at the end of the day the medium Parlee was spot on size wise and that was good enough justification to help me decide. To be honest, I'd have been happy with any of them and just needed something like that to help me decide.

I think I've finalised the build but just waiting for a call back to talk through everything and get a delivery date!
  • Smirf
    Smirf Posts: 123
    good man. looking forward to seeing the build!
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
    Trek Triton Singlespeed - "commuter"
  • meesterbond
    Shouldn't be too long with luck... The eTap groupset has now arrived and the shop are just waiting for the ee Brakes so next week hopefully.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Tomassini x fire?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • meesterbond
    Tomassini x fire?

I think a more 'old school' stainless / steel / ti build may be next but that certainly won't be this year
  • Check out the new, revised, upgraded TRAMA frame - quite an amazing frame, still 100% Handmade in Italy - very, very competitive price.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Craddock? Custom British carbon.
  • meesterbond
    All tempting, but I ended up with a Parlee ESX...