650+, two bikes in one?

superkenners
superkenners Posts: 169
edited April 2016 in MTB general
Been looking to get a new MTB and haven't been able to decide between a 29er or 650b 120mm full susser. But now it seems I can have sort of both with a 650 plus, that can also take 29er wheels. Will be mostly riding forest tracks, maybe some trails.

Was looking at this new Norco Torrent....

https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-torre ... e-EV243538

Not sure if this is a great idea or another marketing mans idea of flogging a few more bikes. Has anyone ridden a 650 plus and same bike converted to 29er?

Any thoughts suggestions much appreciated.
Allez
Brompton
Krypton
T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    edited February 2016
    er, where does it say you can run 29er wheels on that?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't. They haven't really been popular so boost hubs and plus size tyres are still rare and expensive.
    It won't give the best of both, the rolling radius of 650b+ tyres is close to 29" and they're heavier so it won't steer as well as a normal 650b bike.
    Try a few 29ers and 650b bikes, you will probably find a bike to cover all you want. Take a look at the Giant Anthem SX.
  • er, where does it say you can run 29er wheels on that?

Ah, valid point, assumed that it might be compatible.

Was also thinking of this, which does bill itself as dual wheel!

Orbea Hydroformed triple butted alloy. Double duty 29" & 27.5+ design. Boost 12x148 rear axle. Trail III geometry. Internal cable routing. ISCG 05.

http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/loki-27+-h10/

Boost does look expensive at the moment, but assume it will come down costs wise and a set of wheels probably wouldn't shatter the bank balance! Kind of makes sense as geometry shouldn't change too much between 29 and 650+ tyres. Although I confess to not really knowing much at all about these things.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    why are you set on a 29er you can change or vice versa? why not just try a few bikes and buy one you like?

I have a 26" bike and a 650b bike and to be honest I don't see much difference. I've ridden a 29er and I wouldn't say it's better than 650b at all.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Boost and plus size was supposed to be last year's big thing but I've still not actually seen a plus size bike outside of a shop.
    It will be a few years before tyre prices come down, 650b is still more expensive than 26".
    It's another standard no one wanted, 650b only took off because 26" went out of production so there wasn't a choice
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Boost and plus size was supposed to be last year's big thing but I've still not actually seen a plus size bike outside of a shop.
    It will be a few years before tyre prices come down, 650b is still more expensive than 26".
    It's another standard no one wanted, 650b only took off because 26" went out of production so there wasn't a choice

This is exactly what happened to 26". Worked fine for decades and 650b is a pointless replacement. 29" is a good option if it suits your riding but the bike overall is more important. The plus size bikes are equally pointless for most riding.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

Some of the plus sized tyres look remarkably close to hans dampf width, I have a 29er Trance fairly sure that tyre size is largely minor for most. When I bought the trance 27.5/650b tyre choice was much more limited than 29er which was one of my reasons for buying a 29er.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    why do you want your ride feel squishy and mushy? 27.5+ tires are a tad smaller than 29ers roughly 1cm, but advertised as the same dia, plus when the tire sags it getts even lower to the ground, closer to a normal 27.5, as ibis put it it's actually only 5mm taller when loaded from a normal 27.5 tire, that's why the made the new mojo 27.5+/27.5 compatible with adjustable bb height, and not 29/27.5+
    Test was between 27.5x2.8 vs 27.5x2.5 tire as they claim there is no advantage gain going wider than 2.8 on a plus tire
    I don't claim the above are true (edit absolute) but makes sense to me
    Get a proper 27.5 or a 29er.
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • @Herdwick

Yep, that is good advice. I am having a rethink. Plus needs have changed a little have an entry for this now....

http://www.dolomitisuperbike.com/en/the ... ramme.html

So erring towards a 29er

Would have gone for a Canyon hardtail but their woes kill that idea dead. Keep coming back to this which gets some decent write ups and seems well specd for the price.....

http://whyte.bike/gb/t-129-scr/
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

• Herdwick
    whyte is a personal favourite,

but if you don't mind a bit extra weight but value for money check this one,

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-roo ... aid:816544

this is closer to whytes price but better speced

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-roo ... aid:816436
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    This isn't so much two bikes in one as a very wide range of available tyre sizes for roughly the same overall radius . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Ubersonic
    Ubersonic Posts: 11
    IIRC correctly BikeRadar did a direct scientific comparison between the 26er/650b/29er on their Youtube channel about a year ago and the 29er was slightly faster than the 26er which was slightly faster than the 650b.

*edit* here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxfrykeSNCE
  • Herdwick
    Close to same overall radius, but totally different ride feeling and performance over different riding surfaces and conditions, not so close as you think
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Well problems solved.

Lucky visit to Chain Reaction who had 15% off this weekend, result a 2016 Whyte T-130s Yari, which a couple of LBS had told me was sold out.

Should be lots of fun, so will focus on that and do less miles XC!

Italians are going to lend me a bike for the Dolomite Superbike.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130