1 x 11 drivetrain

nasha48
nasha48 Posts: 231
edited February 2016 in MTB general
Hiy guys. 2 things on my mind:-

1) Wondering if anyone has ridden the new Boardman FS Pro 650b 2016? Spec looks great, seen article on here talking about it but yet to find any proper reviews/first ride info?

2) 1 x 11 drivetrains (on new Boardman Pro) - other than weight reduction, what are the riding advantages I would find compared to riding my current 3 x 9 setup?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1/ Not sure it's even in the magazines yet, so unlikely.....
    2/ Weight, simplicity (no need to sort out two conflicting gears), decluttering of bars (for suspenion or dropper remotes). Gear range is similar to a 3x9.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Right, cheers Rookie. Must confess the bar declutter didn't even occur to me. Gear range is interesting to hear as that's what I'm particularly interested in.

Halfords have been selling the new Boardman for a few weeks now so thought it would have been reviewed a bit by now. Clearly, I'm jumping the gun. Really want a Trance anyway, just got excited about the Pikes up front...
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    yep, I'm running 1x10 on 1 bike and 2x10 on another.

I'm soon to change to 1 x10 on both as the gear range isn't that different. the only thing I do notice is with a 32t front ring and a 11-36 rear cassette I spin out quicker if going down a very fast descent (road haha)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    1 x 11 depends on where and how you ride as well as your fitness. I prefer remote xc riding in the hills and find 2 x 10 better as i get a good range of close together gears for long hill climbing. For trail centres and flatter trails it wouldn't make as much difference.

In the end it is down to personal preference.