£1000 to spend on a new MTB do not know what to get

XCdev
XCdev Posts: 7
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all I am going to use my cycle to work scheme to spend a maximum of £1000 on a new MTB, I can use Evans, Chain Reaction Cycles and Go Outdoors does anyone have any suggestions as what bike I should be looking at as I do not know much about bike components.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bossnut?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Do you know anything about what you might be riding? are you going to be very gentle stuff? aggressive riding in the middle?
  • XCdev
    I have been looking at the Boss Nut. I will be riding trail centres mid to aggressive and using it places like Leigh Quarry I will also be using it for some urban tracks including stair sets and jumps.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Unless you are landing that stuff like a cat, then the bike is unsuitable as it's a trail bike - not meant for big flat landings.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How much experience do you have and what do you ride now, how are you looking to progress from that?

£1K will get you a pretty good hardtail or a fairly decent FS....which do you think would suite you better?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The Rookie wrote:
    How much experience do you have and what do you ride now, how are you looking to progress from that?

this^^^^^^^
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • XCdev
    I currently have a Carrera Vengeance which is used for cross country and but it cannot handle the trails and routes I want to do
  • Have a look at the new boardman pro
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Got to be the Bossnut. All the reviews are off the scale.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The Rookie
    But not for
    XCdev wrote:
    using it for some urban tracks including stair sets and jumps.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Got to be the Bossnut. All the reviews are off the scale.

Anyone on here ridden one? Just curious as I'd heard that go outdoors learnt a lot from the chain reaction marketing department...
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • XCdev
    I'm going to go with the boss nut but out of curiosity what bike would you use for the urban side
  • The Rookie
    Scott voltage or GT ruckus hardtail.
  • spr000
    spr000 Posts: 24
    Hello. How does the old Boardman Pro HT compare to the new one spec wise. New looks to have a high spec to me, but old one is £150 cheaper.

I'll be using the bike for the odd commute as well as trail riding so the difference between 2x10 vs 1x11 is of interest to me. I see the new bike has a lower top end but they're pretty equal at the bottom end.