The end of cycling

2»

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    earth wrote:
    Dual discs. One on each side of the front fork. It will come to MTB first before CX and then road bikes. They will say that it solves the problem of the fork twisting under braking. Whether that is true or not will be argued and then regardless of what anyone says manufacturers will make them and the UCI will adopt them.

I'm probably just an old cynic, but I am looking ahead 15-20 years when the manufacturers try and push an amazing new technology on us:

Light, more than powerful enough, much more aero, better looking, long-lasting pads.

We're calling it rim braking.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    marcusjb wrote:
    I'm probably just an old cynic, but I am looking ahead 15-20 years when the manufacturers try and push an amazing new technology on us:

Light, more than powerful enough, much more aero, better looking, long-lasting pads.

You old cynic.
    As with clothing fashions, if (when) it does come back it will be slightly different.
  • diy wrote:
    I was moaning at the wife the other day for wanting a new kitchen - the current one is only 16 years old - wtf is that about? :D

She's a bit youg for marriage isn't she?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I had enough of crabby old machine operators on site yesterday moaning about how it's all coming to an end and that everything is getting worse. Progress can't all be bad can it?
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Only £10k. That was last month's bonus!!

Ooops, must rush I have someone asking me about Mortgage Bonds.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    marcusjb wrote:
    earth wrote:
    Dual discs. One on each side of the front fork. It will come to MTB first before CX and then road bikes. They will say that it solves the problem of the fork twisting under braking. Whether that is true or not will be argued and then regardless of what anyone says manufacturers will make them and the UCI will adopt them.

We're calling it a fully extended maximal lateral force top mounted dual pad retardation device

FTFY
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • It's only my age that stops me being a mamil and I am larger than the average cyclist. I work hard and just bought a second hand pinarello. I like my garmin with all the sensors and love my bikes, I have a few now.

If anyone doesn't like the fact I am over weight, in Lycra with a nice bike and all the gear with no idea I couldn't give a sh*t to be honest. I wear my fat lad at the back jersey at the weekend and get out as often as I can and cover as many miles as I can.

When I am out people on bikes coming the other way and going past me say hello, I say hello back etc. If the OP has an issue with other people to that extend they need to get a grip.
    Specialized Roubiax elite
    Pinarello Uno
    Shwin MTB

http://www.strava.com/athletes/hughes_terry
  • pinno
    When I am out people on bikes coming the other way and going past me say hello, I say hello back etc. If the OP has an issue with other people to that extend they need to get a grip.

Is that a plain grip, a twist grip or should he bin the idea and get some bar end shifters?

Welcome to the BR forum.

Pssst... ffs, don't mention Helmets.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    What helmet? I never wear one, should I?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    166058-136576-wile-e-coyote_super1.jpg
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    marcusjb wrote:
    earth wrote:

I think rim brakes "just look right on bikes" they're certainly powerful enough and I don't have any modulation problems. Maybe my opinions will change as I see more and more disc road bikes, But bike development and marketing and convincing people they need to change/upgrade is what keeps the profits rolling in and the industry moving forward. In future I don't see the disc brake being the way forward, probably something magnetic based in the forks acting on the wheels, who knows
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • pinno
    Rim brakes for riders under 75 kg's.
    Disc brakes for the fatties/should be playing rugby instead..

(Unless you live in a very hilly area with very steep hills that you actually cycle up/down).

Electro magnetic brakes eh BianchiMoon?

I am not sure exactly what is happening here; the force on a rim is x inches from the centre of rotation and there is leverage going on, whereas with a disc, there is little leverage as it is y distance from the centre of rotation. I suppose the leverage on the rim works both ways and it cancels itself out.
    Surely there is room for better rim/brake pad material and surfaces conducive to braking?
    Riders used to go down the mountains in the 70's in the GT's like the clappers with steel rims and weak brakes with probably about the same number of accidents statistically as now. What's going on?
  • bianchimoon
    Pinno wrote:
    well, some people said automatic transmission/gearchange would never come to bikes, :) who knows what the future holds, probably after my demise tho :(

http://automobiletechinfo.blogspot.co.u ... brake.html
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    hmm could use it to power the bike as well!! :D
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    well, some people said automatic transmission/gearchange would never come to bikes, :) who knows what the future holds, probably after my demise tho :(

Should I order the flowers now?! :(
  • bianchimoon
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Should I order the flowers now?! :(
    Gulp, only if you know something i don't... don't tell me u've got electro-magnetic already :o
  • pinno
    My two bits of chrome plated titanium fitments in preference to the dodgy old femoral heads do sometimes cause a current which tingles but I can hardly call it electromagnetic and it doesn't slow me down any quicker when I need to.
  • Pinno wrote:
    My question to the op is .... Does it matter?

Surely you just do ya own thing?
    I've owned nice expensive watches, now I don't own any.
    I've had the odd nice car, now I've got a Skoda.
    I've a mix of Madison, Castelli, Decathlon and Rapha kit.

I'm not a envious person,but if I see tasteful,
    expensive kit (be it a watch, car or bike)
    I'll compliment the owner or if I find it a bit gauche I'll keep my trap shut.

It really tickles me how people get upset over a bit of Merino wool
    or someone else's bike?!?!?
    Just ride!

Is that a rap track?

I've heard worse! :D
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Chris Bass wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    05b3c51d374884464f82bd2f3b0bcecf.jpg

actually - trolling (in this sense) comes from a fishing term, not the under the bridge type. fun fact!! :D

If you mean the OP's post is fishing for comments then I take your point but firstly all thread are looking for comments. Secondly, and this might belong in the irony thread, but 'trolling' does not come from the fishing term. It comes from the nursery rhyme about the goats crossing the bridge when a troll jumps out and argues with them. You are describing trawling. The spelling is the clue.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    earth wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    05b3c51d374884464f82bd2f3b0bcecf.jpg

actually - trolling (in this sense) comes from a fishing term, not the under the bridge type. fun fact!! :D

If you mean the OP's post is fishing for comments then I take your point but firstly all thread are looking for comments. Secondly, and this might belong in the irony thread, but 'trolling' does not come from the fishing term. It comes from the nursery rhyme about the goats crossing the bridge when a troll jumps out and argues with them. You are describing trawling. The spelling is the clue.

trawling is dragging a fishing net
    trolling is slowly dragging a lure or baited hook from a moving boat

you are right, the clue is in the spelling, in that they are different words!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Well there is a debate on that becasue trolling is indeed a fishing term - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling_(fishing)

In this case the OP has dangled a baited line in the water and wandered off. We are the pelagic fish "biting"

The spelling is even more important than you think

Whether or not this is ironic or not I'm not sure.

Edit - ah dagnabbit Chris
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • chris_bass
    ddraver wrote:
    Edit - ah dagnabbit Chris

You have to be quick round here!! :D
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    I agree that cycling is dead. I'm going to get rid of my bike and get a quad.
    kettler_pedal_car.jpg
  • chris_bass
    Veronese68 wrote:
    kettler_pedal_car.jpg

call that a quad....

pedal-buzz-news-3.png
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:

Get back to work. Last thing we need is a pesky mod piddling on our pedantry. I'll get one of the Spar shop staff around the corner to drop a packet of ginger nuts in. Will that keep you occupied?
  • pinno
    That's not a 'quad' it's an over zealous golf buggy CB.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Pinno wrote:
    Riders used to go down the mountains in the 70's in the GT's like the clappers with steel rims and weak brakes with probably about the same number of accidents statistically as now. What's going on?

Steel rims weren't used anymore since the 40ies......after that it was wood and alu alloy.
  • pinno
    Keezx wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Steel rims weren't used anymore since the 40ies......after that it was wood and alu alloy.

Unfortunately, fact doesn't allow for much poetic license.