Best Downhill For 550-650 GBP Second hand

ryzouk
ryzouk Posts: 8
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

Looking for some advice to help me spend my money. I want to buy a downhill bike and can spend between 550-650 on it. I want a second hand bike. I originally wanted a Orange 223-224 but now thinking i could mabey get something better for my cash.

Please feel free to fire away with your suggestions.

Cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You're going to be getting the very bottom end downhill bikes at that sort of budget. Personally I wouldn't touch any downhill bike that cheap, you're likely to end up with ruined suspension, brakes and wheels and it will just cost more. Downhill bikes get ridden very hard and parts are more expensive than normal trail bikes.
    £800 would be a realistic minimum for a downhill bike.
  • Really :( I have seen a 2008 Orange 224 for 600. with

15 inch (small) frame with Fox DHX 5.0 shock
    Rockshox boxxer world cup forks
    Superstar direct mount stem
    Answer pro taper bars
    ODI yeti grips
    Raceface seatpost
    Selle Italia Prolink saddle
    Shimano Saint cranks
    Superstar sealed bearing bottom bracket (3 rides old)
    Avid Elixir Carbon brakes
    Shimano XT rear mech
    Shimano Deore cassette
    DMR V12 pedals
    Shimano LX shifter
    MRP Chain device
    Schwalbe Fat Albert tyres 26 x 2.4

Sounds not to bad for what I'm after. If that was in good condition would it be worth 550-600 ?
  • rockmonkeysc
    224's are a pretty nasty ride. The high pivot means really bad pedal kick back. They actually ride a LOT better without a chain! They're cheap because no one wants them.
    The pre 2010 Rockshox BoXXers are horribly flexible and by now, most probably dead or dying. Downhill forks need a lot of maintenance to keep them working right and the world cup BoXXers are particularly high maintenance.
  • 224's are a pretty nasty ride. The high pivot means really bad pedal kick back. They actually ride a LOT better without a chain! They're cheap because no one wants them.
    The pre 2010 Rockshox BoXXers are horribly flexible and by now, most probably dead or dying. Downhill forks need a lot of maintenance to keep them working right and the world cup BoXXers are particularly high maintenance.

Ok well this will also be a hobby of mine to upgrade and add new parts as I go alone. I do want to start with a decent frame though. I think its the look of the Orange 224 that is making me want one. I have not really heard much good about them.

The Iron Horse Sunday also seem like a decent starting place.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Sunday is a very good frame.
    Upgrading is a nice idea but a half decent set of used forks will cost £500 and half that for a shock and another £200 minimum for wheels.
    Downhill is an expensive sport, trying to do it on the cheap rarely works.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    maybe look for an 07-09 Giant glory,not bad bikes,and can be picked up for not a lot money,I used to own one and really liked the way it felt
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    If I were you I would be scouring the pink bike buy & sell section.
  • rockmonkeysc
    maybe look for an 07-09 Giant glory,not bad bikes,and can be picked up for not a lot money,I used to own one and really liked the way it felt

They weigh as much as a cow and have similar handling.
    They're getting quite rare now as well, can't remember the last time I saw one.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192

They weigh as much as a cow and have similar handling.
    They're getting quite rare now as well, can't remember the last time I saw one.

He didn't ask for a lightweight bike,think mine was 44-45lbs and didn't have the lightest parts on it either,see them on pinkbike at sub £1k with decent ish kit on them,do quite like the Sunday rode a mates an was quite impressed with it
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I sold my 2010 Specialized Big Hit 2 FSR for £550 about 18 months ago. It's very budget, but if you're not racing then it'll be fine. I rode mine everywhere, Cwmcarn, Antur stiniog etc and it handled it all. It does weigh a ton though and looking back now I'd definitely should have swapped the brakes for something better.
  • Thanks for the advice not sure still going to have a good look before I buy anyways