Mondraker Summun ID

neilus
neilus Posts: 245
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hiya
Im on the lookout for a 2nd hand DH bike, can anyone ID this?:
http://bikeboard.at/Board/biete-218340-mondraker-dhbike
Possibly a 2012 Team Pro...or not. £1300. I could actually go and see/test this as opposed to buying unridden 2nd hand bike, which to be honest, counts for quite a lot.
Mondraker seem to be a well regarded brand, and lets assume I could knock £100 off, does that seem like a good deal?
I know next to nothing about DH bikes, except that they are really, really useful in Alpine bike parks :)
Cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nope. The Team Pro had Fox 40 forks and a different paint job. That's just the basic model and it's a bit over priced.
    Look out for cracks in the frame, they aren't the strongest or most durable of frames.
  • neilus
    Cheers. How much would you reckon its worth?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not a lot. No one is buying DH bikes any more so not much over a grand.
  • neilus
    They're still being made so I assume somebody is still buying them...?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not many. Go to any uplift day and you'll see the majority of riders are on enduro bikes. Everyone seems to selling their DH bikes now and not many people are buying so their selling for peanuts.
  • neilus
    Spent quite a few days at the bikeparks here in Austria (Saalbach, Wagrain, Zauberberg) and virtually everyone had a DHer - Glorys, Tues, Demos everywhere you looked. Maybe people in the UK look for more versatile bikes whereas here, if youre gonna be hitting full-on red/black alpine trails 10, 20 days a year, its worth the investment...different market I guess...
  • Nothing wrong with the durability of Mondraker frames at all, though they do chew up bearings.

But if you keep your eyes open the 2015 base model had dropped to sub 2k here in Britain and its a great DH bike for carrying speed, not as poppy as some if you like but just fast.
  • neilus
    Cheers guys. This 2nd hand DH bike hunt isnt straight forward...it seems people by one, use it (to various degrees), then 3 or 4 years later try and sell it 30% less than they paid for it. Came across this Tues which looks like a contender, standard model from 2013:
    https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und ... 151596777/
    Says it was only ridden in the city, wtf??? Asking price around £1350. If I could get him down to say £1200 I might just be tempted to go for it...
    (and ill leave it there, im not gonna keep posting every possible DHer i come across!)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Queenstown has a downhill trail in the middle of the city.
    Tues is OK, personally I don't think it's worth £1200. That's the basic model which was very cheap when new. You can buy a new one for only £500 more!
    I've seen Devinci Wilsons at that price and they're much better bikes. A Wilson would be my top choice or maybe a Scott Gambler. Late model GT Fury's are bargains and very good.
  • neilus
    Cheers, yes I see the odd Fury around...always thought GTs were a bit naff without any reason whatsoever. Any particular year/model? And while im at it, if Im looking at 2nd hand DHer from say 2010 - 2013, are there any components (a particular fork/shock) which I should steer clear of?
    Cheers!
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'd avoid Fox Van or Rockshox Kage shocks. Avid brakes are best avoided and don't even consider anything with Crank Bros or Easton wheels. Avoid any forks without adjustable compression damping.
    Fury from 2014 onwards is great, earlier ones aren't so good.
  • neilus
    Cheers RM, much appreciated!