Changing from Tiagra to Sram

Weeman1973
Weeman1973 Posts: 471
edited February 2016 in Workshop
I'm looking to change the drivetrain on a bike I've just picked up from Tiagra to a mix of Sram (prefer the shifting on Sram to Shimano).

I will be using Force shifters & Apex rear mech so my questions are:

1. Is the original Tiagra 10spd Front Mech compatible with the shifting from a Force shifter?
2. Can I res-use the outer cables form gears & brakes so I only have to change inner cables? The Tiagra shifters have the gear cables coming out the side whereas the Sram shifters have the cables hidden underneath the bar tape which is much neater I think anyway.

Anybody changed their drivetrain over this way, was wondering any pitfalls to avoid or any tips anybody might share as this will be my 1st attempt & changing shifters, derailleurs, cables etc. as always had a bike shop do it but I think it's about time I learned to start doing this sort of stuff for myself!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    No issues with either..
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I use an Ultegra front mech with Rival shifters if that helps.

As the SRAM cables are thinner I can't see a problem with what you plan so long as the old outlets aren't jeffed - also worth checking cable routing into the brifters to make sure all runs nice and fluid.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.