I Can't believe some people!

wfdcornwall
wfdcornwall Posts: 3
edited April 2016 in Campaign
I am so mad!! I just can't believe how people treat cyclists.

Had some time off from work, saw the weather forecast and thought it would be great to get out of the garage and in to the sunshine. Nice ride around the Lizard in Cornwall. Some of the back roads were very wet and slimey but great to be out side in the Sunshine.

Then whilst travelling through Gweek, I was aware of a vehicle behind me that had slowed, as there was an obvious chance to overtake, but didn't, I became a bit concerned, so I stopped at the side of the road. The vehicle slowed and then a pain in butt cheek like a wasp sting and the van sped past me. I was a bit pre-occupied looking for a wasp or bee that had done the deed then I realised it must have come from the van. I was furious!! I had no chance of getting close to the van to get a number plate..... and they were off to fire at more random targets.

The ride home soon took my mind off the pain in the right buttock but when in the shower it was obvious that I had been hit by a BB or Air gun pellet.

I suppose I am lucky that the people in the car just took a pot shot and didn't run me off the road, as happens to other cyclists.

Has it got to the point now that all cyclists should carry some form or camera to ensure that we get evidence of these assaults?

I did notice other cyclists in the area, if anyone else had a run in with this van, please let me know.

Cheers

Ken
PS - Calming down now!!

Comments

• Ouch! Luckily I'd have thought that was a very rare occurance but a good idea to keep people posted and you might want to report it to the police "just in case".

Whilst they won't do anything for you, the next victim might get a plate number.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • The idiots don't just treat cyclists badly. They treat anyone badly whilst they feel safe in their cocoon.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    When the van passed you - why didnt you get the reg then ?

More and more cyclists have go pros on their bikes so one day the idiots will make a mistake and get caught.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Fenix wrote:
    When the van passed you - why didnt you get the reg then ?

More and more cyclists have go pros on their bikes so one day the idiots will make a mistake and get caught.

well if its anything like me when this kind of thing happens,although fortunately not been on the end of a airgun pellet :shock: but have had plenty of stuff chucked/lobbed at me from passing cars, and even people trying to grab my handlebars on occasion.

But my mind completely blanks. firstly in a kind of did they really do what I just thought they did style,then followed by the adrenalin kick fight or flight mode and Im then just reacting instinctively in self preservation mode and completely on autopilot, fortunately so far I seem to have quite good autopiloting bike handling skills, but by the time and it can literally be only a few seconds sometimes, Ive regained enough composure or free brain processing to think I really need to note the registration of that car or van, theyll have gapped me enough that is no longer possible to read.

its really weird to describe because I can always remember the exact details of the event happening, but I just end up with a gigantic memory hole in terms of describing what the vehicle looked like, make model colour, any distinguishing features, the drivers/passengers, they just become generic people in generic vehicles.

the problem with the go-pro route, and its an option Ive considered many times, but ultimately you need at least two dont you, one front and one to cover your back and then it all feels like its getting out of hand.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I do have a go pro- I got it to record epic rides - basically those once in a lifetime climb kind of things - love watching the footage again.

I occasionally have it on in this country just for kicks - but sods law is that it wouldnt be on when I needed it.

I'm sure someone will come out with a dedicated trip recorder camera like they have for cars. We just need the battery life I think.
  • Never seen the point in on board cameras for cycling but I must admit instances like this tempt me towards buying one of these: https://cycliq.com/product/fly6

There will always be low life scum whose sole purpose in life is to make others more miserable. Trouble is even if you caught them on film they'd likely only get a slap on the wrist.