Long reach bar and short stem or vice versa ?

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited February 2016 in Workshop
Have an interesting debate going on. On my last build, I went for a reasonably long reach bar and my usual 100mm stem, both 3T alloy so nothing expensive or exotic.

My riding compatriot thinks that long reach bars are out of date and dont suit modern shifters, which I am neither here nor there about as my fit works. However, in discussion he reckons that a longer stem, 110/120 with a shorter bar better suited to the modern rider (Zipp SC SL-70 - the bike fitters dream) and bike and the steering better with a longer stem and shorter bar. I see slower, but not 'better'...?!?!

I quite like have a long reach as I rotate my pelvis and spend a lot of time riding the hoods, never been an on the drops rider hence have long reach large drop.

Any opinions out there and more so, can 10mm affect handling that much ? It has got me thinking is all and never really pondered it.

Pete.

Comments

• LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    I don't think 10mm will change the handling. Ive never noticed it even with a change of 20mm. If it works and your comfortable why mess with it.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Most people spend a lot of time on the hoods but you should be comfy in the drops if only for descending and sprinting. Could you spend a lot of time on the drops and feel comfortable, if not your fit doesn't work.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    ...... you should be comfy in the drops if only for descending and sprinting. Could you spend a lot of time on the drops and feel comfortable, if not your fit doesn't work.

Not necessarily. If you don't have reasonable core strength and flexibility then riding in the drops may be a strain even with a reasonable fit.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    In my experience, you won't notice any difference in handling or steering with a 10 or 20mm longer or shorter stem. Your top priority is to ensure the reach to the hoods is your preferred distance and you feel comfortable and fully in control. Virtual top tube length, stem length and forward extension of the bars are all factors in getting this right. It's easy enough to measure, say, from the tip of the saddle to the hoods to replicate that distance from old to new bike.

Long stems are becoming more fashionable nowadays thanks to pros using frames smaller than would normally be suitable for them in an attempt to get low and aero. But they certainly don't make steering "better" as claimed by your cycling compatriot.

Using STI or Ergo levers from the hoods is no different with short or long forward reach bars. However, it is more of a stretch to reach the changer lever or button from the drops with deep drop bars, particularly if you have small hands.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Svetty wrote:
    ...... you should be comfy in the drops if only for descending and sprinting. Could you spend a lot of time on the drops and feel comfortable, if not your fit doesn't work.

Not necessarily. If you don't have reasonable core strength and flexibility then riding in the drops may be a strain even with a reasonable fit.

We disagree - I don't think you need much in the way of core strength to ride a bike in the drops and you should certainly feel comfortable there for periods of multiple minutes. If your fit is demanding much in the way of core strength then it's probably not the right fit.

As far as flexibility goes a good fit should take account of flexibility - so for example a shallow drop bar where the OP has a deep drop but also stuff around saddle position and height which will affect how comfortable the rider is in the drops.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]