Garmin 510 vs 520

nsimpson
nsimpson Posts: 7
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Hoping someone that has used both devices can give me some advice. I can pick up a slightly used 510 bundle for $170 compared to a new 520 bundle for $370. Is the extra $200 between the two worth it?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    For 200 dollaridoos - no. The 520 is a good bit of kit but I would go for the 510 for the money. there is not really much extra on the 520. You get live strava segments on the 520 but then if you are a premium member then the 510 does too. 510 is probably the best garmin for vfm.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Well if buying used then you have no warranty, so if anything should go wrong you would have to pay Garmin for a repair/replacement.

The 520 has extras like map overlay rather than breadcrumb trail, plus its bluetooth smart, so syncs with sensors which aren't ANT+, as well as allowing text/call notification.

Whether this is worth the extra money, only you can decide. Personally i think the Garmin 520 is the best all round GPS available at the moment, but the 510 is also a good piece of kit.

if you are on a budget then look at the Bryton 310 - excellent little device and fantastic value for the money.
  • jmrr
    jmrr Posts: 19
    redvision wrote:
    The 520 has extras like map overlay rather than breadcrumb trail, plus its bluetooth smart, so syncs with sensors which aren't ANT+, as well as allowing text/call notification.

Edge 520 doesn't support bluetooth sensors, only ANT+. Bluetooth is only used for uploading ride with phone and call/text notifications.
  • redvision
    jmrr wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Edge 520 doesn't support bluetooth sensors, only ANT+. Bluetooth is only used for uploading ride with phone and call/text notifications.

It appears you are right. Strange as Bluetooth smart sensors should pair - unless Garmin have somehow suppressed this due to their ownership of ANT+??

Either way, it still has bluetooth smart which should allow for future tech developments (should Garmin see sense and open this up).

OP this might be helpful http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/07/garm ... son-charts
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Definitely not worth $200 difference. In reality the only useful new feature is the map overlay under a breadcrumb trail for routes/courses, whilst the 510 just shows the breadcrumbs. Otherwise they are virtually the same - great for training, not for touring.

In some other ways the 510 might be better - the touchscreen for example is quite intuitive and works with gloves on. There 520 is controlled by side-mounted buttons like the 500.

I've got the 510, I doubt I'd trade up for $50.
  • Thanks guys. Ended up only paying $160 for the used 510 bundle.
  • redvision
    nsimpson wrote:
    Thanks guys. Ended up only paying $160 for the used 510 bundle.

Sounds like a good deal then.
    Enjoy!
  • I bought the 520 bundle in a sale and sold off all the sensors I didn't need (which made it cheaper than buying just the unit alone).
    Then sold on my 510 for a reasonable price which meant I hadn't invested too much.
    The 520 is a smaller, sleeker unit, with a clearer screen, and the mapping is handy, if difficult to manipulate.
    Live segments kinda fun too.
  • redvision
    The 520 is a smaller, sleeker unit, with a clearer screen, and the mapping is handy, if difficult to manipulate.

As i mentioned above, i think the 520 is the best all round gps on the market.

I do miss the touchscreen from the 810 i had before though (only thing i do miss from that device).

Also, as pointed out in the posts above, it is a strange one why the 520 is bluetooth smart yet can only communicate with a phone, not sensors. I read up on DCR site last night and he seemed disappointed in this oversight as well.

Still, the 520 is awesome. Im sure the OP will be happy with his 510 though, still a great piece of kit.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    redvision wrote:

Also, as pointed out in the posts above, it is a strange one why the 520 is bluetooth smart yet can only communicate with a phone, not sensors.

Call me cynical but I feel its probably down to Garmins own sensors being ANT+ only and would rather you bought theirs than a 3rd party sensor. Bear in mind that their cadance/speed sensors have to be compatible with all their existing products too.