Garden Bike Storage

shmooster
shmooster Posts: 335
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
My forum search efforts have failed me though I'm sure there have been threads on this in the past. I used to keep my bike(s) in the garage until it got broken into and since then they've been in the house. My wife is unhappy with this state of affairs (though I quite like it) so I need to get some kind of outbuilding in the back garden to store them in.

I guess I have the choice of a purpose built garage, some kind of wooden shed/workshop building, or one of those large prefabricated metal thingys.

Looking at around 8 bikes plus accessories tools etc and I'd like to have a bench and power in there for occasional fettling.

Any recommendations, what worked for you, and how much did it cost? Budget is variable depending on the quality/security/looks of the end result but likely not more than a couple of grand.

Comments

• rando
    rando Posts: 285
    I was recently looking at secure bike storage and Asgard get good reviews.
    This might be suitable for you - http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-s ... ycle-store
    (just noticed you need 8 bikes and this is only 6)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think getting a secure pre-fab with that amount of space (8 bikes + fettling space) is going to be very expensive. You would probably be better off getting a builder in to spec up a decent garage with anchor loops and a secure door, etc. I have an Asgard for storing 4 bikes. They are very good but not cheap (Asgards, that is).
  • Personally, I just could never envisage leaving my expensive bikes outside the house. The risk is just too great, no matter how secure the shed.

Fortunately I have a very understanding wife......
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Personally, I just could never envisage leaving my expensive bikes outside the house. The risk is just too great, no matter how secure the shed.

Fortunately I have a very understanding wife......

Err, I only store the cheaper bikes in the bikeshed. The others are in the house :-)

I have a long suffering wife...
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I think getting a secure pre-fab with that amount of space (8 bikes + fettling space) is going to be very expensive. You would probably be better off getting a builder in to spec up a decent garage with anchor loops and a secure door, etc. I have an Asgard for storing 4 bikes. They are very good but not cheap (Asgards, that is).

After some more searching it looks like it could be £10,000 or more, so yes, that's out.
  • Thanks for all the advice, I'll have a word with a local builder or two, but I think it might end up being some cheapo shed/workshop with additional security features.
  • How much would it cost to secure the garage
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Would it not be more cost effective to put cctv and alarm on your garage? Is it a separate or built into the house garage?

You can get some good security to put on your doors. Chances are thieves will prefer an easy target so if you can make it harder to get in most will not bother. As was mentioned. Some shackle loops and a heavy duty chain and padlock running through the frame (doesn't have to actually touch the bikes) will stop anyone just lifting them in a quick getaway. If they had to break the bike to get it away then they aint going to steal it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What ever you do read the small print of your insurance as you might find yourself with a shed you can't insure your bikes in.

There have been stories of bike on here being stolen with walls taken down, and roofs being removed.

If they want it they will take it. So read the small print and make sure you are covered.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I have an Asgard Centurion Bike Shed - this one http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-s ... nance-shed and I think they are brilliant. I keep all my bikes there, if someone was to try and break in it would make such a racket that everyone would notice, I do appreciate that if you live in a remote location and there is no one around you then yes, this might not be enough, but I do feel in those circumstances nothing probably will.

It seems pretty secure to me - http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/lpcb-tests - personally more secure than at home, seeing that breaking into a home via a pvc window is really easy these days.

By the way, my home insurer covers the bikes in the shed (RSA via John Lewis).
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • +1 for Asguard

I had an Asgard, 4 bike shed, and couldn't fault it, I put in a ground anchor as well for extra security, covered by insurance, and really would be able to get into it if I lost the keys.

I paid them to come and fit it and the service was excellent.
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Boardman Pro C winter hack
    Cannondale Prophet
    Decathlon Hub geared City bike
  • How much would it cost to secure the garage

We're knocking down the current garage and extending into the space otherwise that would be the cheapest option by far.