Help..Giant Stance Vs Polygon Siskiu D7?

the chooks
the chooks Posts: 4
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Can't decide between these two entry sub 2k dual suspension MTB, any help appreciated.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/27-5- ... /102731777

The Giant $1600
Frame ALUXX grade aluminium, FlexPoint, 120mm travel
Fork RockShox 30 Gold TK w/15mm thru-axle, OverDrive steerer, 120mm travel
Shock RockShox Monarch R
Handlebar Giant Connect TR, low rise, 31. 8mm
Stem Giant Sport, 6 degree
Seat Post Giant Sport, 30. 9mm
Saddle Giant Connect, Upright
Shifters Shimano Alivio, 27sp
Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio
Rear Derailleur Shimano Alivio
Brakes Shimano M355 hydraulic, Fr: 180mm, Rr: 160mm
Brake Levers Shimano M355 hydraulic
Cassette Shimano HG200, 11-34T, 9sp
Chain KMC X9
Crankset FSA Comet, 22-30-40T
Bottom Bracket FSA press fit
Rims Alloy, double wall
Hubs Giant alloy cassette, 32H
Spokes Stainless steel, 14g
Tyres Maxxis Ardent w/puncture protect, 27. 5x2. 25”

The Polygon
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/27-5- ... /102746969

ASX Advanced Alloy linkage driven single pivot XC frame with 4. 7" of suspension travel (internal routed)
Tapered Head Tube
Rockshox 30 Silver Solo Air, Travel 120mm (New upgrade from 2015 model)
Suntour EpiXon LO-R Air rear shock with hydrauic lockout
30 Speed Shimano Deore XT / Deore group set
27. 5 inch Araya 650 wheels with Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres.
5 Year Warranty on frame
Full manufacturer’s warranty on parts
Weight 13. 6kg (medium frame)
Cheers

Comments

• Hey thanks for the response, Polygon is an Indonesian company they seem to sponsor quite a few riders and they won the red bull rampage last year. So they don't seem to be dirt ugly cheap. Yeah trying to avoid pay the $3k for the other Giant models you mentioned here for now. I guess it's running gear on the polygon Vs maybe a better frame and trusted big brand support with the Giant?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Polygon is a single pivot swing arm with linkage driven shock, so perhaps not as dialled in feeling as the Maestro rear on the Trance, the Giant has the slightly better (lighter) fork, the Polygon the better drivetrain, although 3x10 is rather old fashioned as you have so many gear overlaps.

They will ride a bit differently as the Polygon is more a trail bike at 120mm travel, but if you get on with it then that would be my choice with an immediate upgrade to 1x10 with an expander ring (that's what I would do anyway).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers mate, the Giant Stance doesn't get the maestro set up the trance and anthem do, 'the Stance forgoes Giant’s signature Maestro suspension design for a much simpler single pivot design they have dubbed “FlexPoint” which allows them to bring the price point down significantly'. What do you mean will ride as more of a trail bike, it did seem to have a longer stem but the travel was the same on both?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sorry, not reading it right, my eyes read stance and my brain trance....in that case if you like the Polgon, that all the way.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.