London to Rome: on yer bike!

2»

Comments

• Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Keep going Doug, what an adventure.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Hope the weather improves for all of you Doug, excellent Blog, and trip by the sounds of it
  • We had a brilliant day of weather and ride today from Venice Lido to Ravenna. Weather looks okay to start the day tomorrow but probably will rain on us tomorrow. No blog post this evening as our long day in the saddle was extended because of issues with the ferries. And we've just finished dinner so I will have to get my beauty sleep. Double post tomorrow, after we've crossed the Rubicon.
  • Two more eventful days on the road to Rome. Great contrast, great companionship. Our multi-faceted epic journey continues ...
    https://londontoromebybicycle.blogspot. ... storm.html
  • Bo Duke
    Isn't it a great country? My wife's from a village pf 2,000 people in Piemonte and the shots of the countryside around Veruccio look very similar. One day we'll retire there then cycle.... All in the future.. another 10 years.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Hi Folks
    We've just had two beautiful days traversing Tuscany. Here are my impressions of those two days:
    http://londontoromebybicycle.blogspot.i ... scany.html
    We have two days left but I'll only be posting once more upon arrival in Rome as we have a big day ahead: 154 kilometres and 2000+ metres of elevation, and it's highly unlikely I'll feel like posting after that.
    Hope you enjoy the read.
    Cheers
    Doug
  • lincolndave
    Brilliant reading and photos again Doug, good luck on the last two days
  • We have arrived in Rome! I am fully aware that this adventure isn't anything like folks organising their own trip and carrying all their own gear from point A to B. However, getting from London to Rome in a month via a fairly circuitous route, with only a few short lifts due to bad weather feels like pretty good going to us. Here is the tale of the last two days of our journey:
    http://londontoromebybicycle.blogspot.i ... -rome.html

I will do one more "retrospective" post in a few days and that will be it for the londontoromebybicycle blog!

Cheers

Doug
  • lincolndave
    Well done Doug, I've really enjoyed your blog, from start to finish
  • Bo Duke
    Great achievement Doug, please pass on our congratulations to all your fellow cyclists.

You can ride home now.
  • Nice one, Bo. But Dianne and I have a small matter to deal with first: we are walking from Lake Geneva to the Mediterranean ...
  • Bo Duke
    Lovely! I lived in Lausanne for many years, what route are you taking? Geneva - Lausanne - Montreux - Grand San Bernardo - Aosta?

I recommend that route because the sun shines on that side of the lake late into the evening (Evian on the French side is in the shade by early afternoon due to the mountains etc..) and the lovely vineyard regions running lakeside.
  • We are walking the GR5 withe a variant finish through the Mercantior National Park reaching the Med at Menton.
  • Bo Duke
    Good luck.. it's a mighty task but a heck of an achievement. I hear red wine aids recovery.