DIY Assisted drive commuter/Ebike

UltraCulture
UltraCulture Posts: 4
edited March 2016 in The workshop
I am thinking of doing a custom build out of on old Falcon 80's steel 12 speed 'racer'
I was going to go down the fixie/SS route but recently I have seen some slick looking ebikes and wondered if it could be done on a budget. a quick search has shown me that indeed it can be done , there is an ebike out there to suit all budgets.
I do like the simple hub motor fitted to a replacement front wheel, this also gives the rider 'all wheel drive'
However
I am trying to do this on a real budget, so I am going to go for the drill motor method, It is easier to have the motor directly contact the rear tire and drive it that way but unless it can be lifted and dropped as and when required it adds a lot of resistance to the rider.
This leaves me thinking of mounting the motor and battery on the rear rack and creating a second drivetrain, with a handlebar mounted throttle.
I'm new on this forum and wondered if anybody else here had attempted a similar build?

Comments

• redbikejohn
    redbikejohn Posts: 160
    Lol I thought you were mad but a quick Google and I see its been done loads! Best of luck :)