22mm tyre suggestions

LeeDa
LeeDa Posts: 82
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
I usually ride with 23mm or 25mm GP4000s tyres but due to a frame that has chainstays that don't accept a wider tyre or a 23mm on a wider rim (HED Jet) I'm looking for something slightly narrower. The only one I come across is the Force / Attack combo though the front tyre isn't meant for the rear plus I don't really want the 24mm rear tyre.

Any suggestions on 21mm or 22mm tyres that give the equivalent rolling resistance / puncture protection as the GP4000s?

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I have read around the net that the GP4000s come out particularly wide . You might try something like the Michelin Pro4 Service course in 23mm. They don't blow up so wide apparently.
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    Does anyone know if a 20mm GP4000s will safely fit a 24mm wide rim? The 23mm Conti measures 27mm wide on the wide rim @ 80psi (I think it's 24 or 25 on a std width rim @ just under 90psi). So as long as a 20mm can seat okay and an acceptable tyre shape given then possibly my wide rims (the tyre at least) will no longer clash with the chainstays.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Suppose the 24 mm is 19C internal? > Will fit.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Calpol wrote:
    I have read around the net that the GP4000s come out particularly wide . You might try something like the Michelin Pro4 Service course in 23mm. They don't blow up so wide apparently.

Yep. Went from the OEMs to GP4000s on my Defy. Had to adjust the brake cables to remove the wheels. Seemed like at least an extra couple of mills. Both were 25mm.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    20mm tyres are too narrow for a 24mm wide rim. /they will end up much narrower than the rim and the chance of rim damage are high.

conti tyres come up big. Try a vittoria Corsa (pre graphene version) these are much narrower for a 23mm tyre. Veloflex tyres also come up small so pick a 23mm veloflex and you will be fine. The best 22mm tyres though are tubs.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.