How long to break in a new saddle??

Sportiveman
Sportiveman Posts: 158
edited June 2016 in Road general
Hi,
How long does it take for people here to roughly break in a saddle? :?: Is it time in saddle or miles?

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Personally, I do not believe in the whole breaking in of a saddle. It is more about making ever smaller adjustments until it is spot on.
  • as above
    left the forum March 2023
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    yep, aside from (uncommon) leather ones etc., modern road saddles don't break in

saddle height, setback and angle can make a huge difference to comfort

it's the rider that adjusts to the saddle, or not, in which case a different saddle may be needed

if you're new to road saddles, give it several weeks, don't ride until you're sore/bruised as that'll just lengthen the time, experiment with position to find what's best for you

some advice on saddle position...

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... can-it-be/
    https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... oad-bikes/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If a saddle is really uncomfortable and it's basically at the right angle - then it's never going to work for you
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    My saddle definitely slightly changed shape. Not sure how long it took but you can see the creases where I assume it has moulded to the way I sit on it. Its an arione vs.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    AK_jnr wrote:
    My saddle definitely slightly changed shape. Not sure how long it took but you can see the creases where I assume it has moulded to the way I sit on it. Its an arione vs.

Creases are just creases - it's where the foam is compressing under the cover. The foam regains its shape as soon as you lift your ar5e off it...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    AK_jnr wrote:

i had an arione, after a couple of years it started to sag, not so much breaking in as breaking down
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    More a case of braking in your backside to the saddle. I suspect very few saddles actually flex or remould unless you go for a Brookes or similar.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Resurrect an old thread. Just got myself a new bike, with a Selle Italia saddle. Old bike was a Specialized saddle. The Selle is not uncomfortable but not as comfortable. Is this something my ar5e will adjust to over the following few days, or not? I was sitting on the Spec at least 5 days a week day for 2 hours so I'm thinking I got used to it and will get used to the new one. Set up with the Selle is perfect after a couple of rides and minor adjustments up and down, back and forth.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Just had the opposite experience. Been using a Spesh Toupe on my CR1 SL, since building it up a few years back. Always suffered over 40 miles with saddle comfort but assumed it was just something to get used to (have tried a great many saddles over time and the Toupe had been the best so far). However, bought a Selle Italia Novus Flow on a bit of a whim after spotting it on sale at CRC. Fitted and ridden for first 1st time today. 52 miles, improved average speed and no discomfort. Difference was pretty immediate for me. Could be a keeper!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Fizik arione for me for any serious distance its still uncomfortable over 250km but then what isn't the difference is I can move backwards and forwards loads on these saddles
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,791
    Navrig2 wrote:
    More a case of braking in your backside to the saddle. I suspect very few saddles actually flex or remould unless you go for a Brookes or similar.
    Not entirely true.
    My Selle Italia SLR Team definitely flexes. The nose slides and is not fixed to allow for this.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tjm160
    tjm160 Posts: 35
    Finding the right saddle is such an individual thing. I went through the whole Bontrager range, then switched to Fizik and was about to give up when I tried a Selle Italia SLS. Suffice to say, no running in required. I'd found the right fit of saddle for my rump and it was as comfy as can be from the very first ride.

I should also add that in the process of trying to find the right saddle a friend managed to convince me to try chamois cream. What a difference that made too! Between the right saddle and the chamois cream I now never get any discomfort at all, even on long rides (although I typically only ride 2-3 times per week).
    Tim
  • cirian75
    cirian75 Posts: 95
    I have a one saddle, it works, comfy, I just keep buying the same one, I have 2 stockpiled in case they stop making it

Selle Italia Shiver
    Pinnacle Neon 3 2017