Campy groupset options

ilav84
ilav84 Posts: 124
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Im about to build up a bike with campag mechanical 2015. It is a Bianchi Sempre Pro so it deserves campy :D Super Record is very expensive and chorus is meant to be very good. I still want that SR bling though.

Can you get good deals on the mix groupset or am I just going to end up paying extra?

I'm thinking:

Shifters: Super Record
Front deraileur: Chorus
Rear deraileur: Super Record
Chainset: Super Record 52/36
Brakes: Chorus dual pivot
Cassette: Chorus 11-29

What would your combination be?
And are there any good deals out there? I am in no major rush but would like to get the bike built by the end of March. So I could buy a few bits now and then the other bits later.

Comments

• The mix you have looks ideal. But please don't call it Campy
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I bought pretty much a full Chorus groupset from PX in the December sale. It cost £550 and was missing BB and chain. Everyone I have spoken to says Chorus is the sweetspot for Campagnolo groupsets in terms of price value. You are saving a handful of grams with SR and getting some more striking stickers (red). If you've got the money then by all means spoil yourself but personally it gave me more budget to allocate to wheels for my new build.

Supersix Evo Hi Mod + Chorus = £1300. Should be able to get something close to a 6.8kg bike for a bit more than £2k. Wheels is the big torment though!
  • I would have thought with the SR RD, ergos and chainset you'd have no savings over a full SR groupset. Personally I'd go full SR or full Chorus maybe with the SR Chainset for the CULT if you don't intend to get a crank based pm. I have Chorus and SR and I cannot tell any performance difference, I like the understated Chorus look on one bike and the flashier SR on the other. SR is lighter but Chorus is no heffalump. I will put a Chorus cassette on the SR when it wears and a record chain on the Chorus when the Chorus chain wears who both will run Chorus cassettes and Record chains
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Calpol wrote:
    I bought pretty much a full Chorus groupset from PX in the December sale. It cost £550 and was missing BB and chain. Everyone I have spoken to says Chorus is the sweetspot for Campagnolo groupsets in terms of price value. You are saving a handful of grams with SR and getting some more striking stickers (red). If you've got the money then by all means spoil yourself but personally it gave me more budget to allocate to wheels for my new build.

Supersix Evo Hi Mod + Chorus = £1300. Should be able to get something close to a 6.8kg bike for a bit more than £2k. Wheels is the big torment though!

My mate is doing this with record mechanical and shamal milles with fizik finishing kit. Highly jealous
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    I've got SR mechanical and Chours EPS. Only use Chours cassettes and chains. Once you take cranks out of it, anything above Chours is hard to justify

Was looking at this at Xmas as if I'd had the cash I'd of snap up one of the cannondale evo blacks on pauls and gone with Chours to finish.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    coriordan wrote:
    Calpol wrote:

My mate is doing this with record mechanical and shamal milles with fizik finishing kit. Highly jealous

Calpol that sounds ace but as former long term Chorus user Force 22 is very similar but lighter and cheaper, the action is very positive like Campag and the 22 levers are a world better than the old 10 speed variants.
    Campag on Cannondale does look ace. Campag to non-Italian works better than Shimano to Ialian IMO.
    For the sake of 150grams don't try to hard on the wheels, I have Ksyrium Elites (2014/5) and they're great with the my Evo so Fulcrum Zeroks or something similar at 1450gr would be just right (my Mavics feel a lot better than the TS81S before them).
    Coriordan - Fizik will look mint on it as will Shamal Milles .
    Love my 2015 Force Evo but all these thread on Supersixes keep me wondering what else I could do !
    Looking forward t seeing both - SOON
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • I saw a full super record mechanical for sale on nencinisport.it the other day for 1085 euros - converted to about 850. Which is a bargain! Seems like they are all gone now though, I didn't even bother buying as it was a compact chainset and I want a standard for my latest build.

I'm just going to put full mechanical chorus 11 on, the price difference between the top 3 is massive for very little difference!

Planet x have it for cheapest I can find at 699, but if you want to pick everything to your exact spec without affecting the final price the best I can find is comtat for 799. If anyone has seen anything cheaper it would be great to know about as I'll be buying very soon!