Bryton Rider 310 - Bargain - Garmin Edge 500 in disguise

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
I was kindly given a Bryton Rider 310 device a few weeks ago but (due to injury) only actually used it this week.
I took my Garmin 520 and compared the two. Using the same ANT+ sensors (power, heartrate, speed & cadence) the data was pretty much identical (as you would expect) although i must say the elevation figure on the Bryton appeared to be unaffected by heavy rainfall - whereas the Garmin did what every Garmin device i have owned has done, and after a while of riding in heavy rain the elevation data becomes unreliable and more or less stops.

The BR310 interface is not as nice as Garmins. It also has an annoying auto start timer. BUT, that aside, the more i played about with the device the more i have realised it shares a lot (and i mean a lot) of similarities with the Garmin Edge 500! Its features (just about every data field you would ever need - aside from mapping), its size, its ease of use etc, it really is similar.

Garmin have of course moved away from the 500 and the 520 is, in my opinion, the best all round GPS device available at the moment. BUT, the 520 is over 3 times the price of this! The Bryton Rider 310 is available for just £60. If it proves to be reliable (i have only done 2 rides with it) i think this could do very well in the market.

As i say, i have only used this twice but so far i have to say, Bryton...chapeau! You seem to have made a bargain.

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Good to see them back in the game, although thought they'd given up the ghost. As a happy Rider50 user I was looking for a smaller replacement and this does look to be a well priced unit.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Had to double check that, £60 is amazing value.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Dowtcha wrote:
    Had to double check that, £60 is amazing value.

It is.
    As i said in my first post, i have only used it twice but if it continues to perform as reliably as it has so far then i think pound for pound it may well be the best GPS out there. Although the BrytonSport website/training centre leaves a lot to be desired.

For those who loved the Edge 500 but can't afford the 520 this really is the perfect solution for you.

I have also just found i had Bluetooth turned off! It is Bluetooth smart enabled but the app does lack livetrack :(