Winter full length bibtights for small skinny

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Sure there are plenty of these threads but they tend to be for XL or tall chaps.

I currently wear some medium Rosa Corsa Castelli bib tights (the ones which go a bit red).

I loved them. Decent pad, warm, straps were super comfy. Warm but not sweaty. Could wear them from 8 degrees down to -3. Only issue was they were about 2 inches too long. Maybe fractionally too big but near enough.

Anyway some bellend rode into the back of me so I now have a hole in the calf.

Any suggestions? I'm a fan of la passione but I've heard the winter kit pad is inferior.

It's a big purchase because I will spend a lot of hours in them.

I'm 171 and 55kilos.

Small Castelli shorts are a bit tight around the crotch. Rapha 3/4s X small are JUST tight enough but further down the calf than they are designed to. You can get away with it win 3/4.

For that reason heel loops aren't ideal.

Ideally don't want to drop more than £120 odd on it.

Comments

• xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    I heard the same about passione winter pad but 2 guys in my club have them and say they are great. I've only got summer pad so can't personally comment.

Have you tried sportful? I got some r&d tights which seem basically the same as sorpasso but can be got for around £100. I wear med and I'm same height but more weighty at 155lb, so small may work for you
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    unless the hole is massive, why not try repairing them?

iron-on wetsuit repair material works with lycra, just make sure the iron is hot enough and apply sufficient heat/pressure to ensure the edge is fully bonded
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    xixang wrote:
    I heard the same about passione winter pad but 2 guys in my club have them and say they are great. I've only got summer pad so can't personally comment.

Have you tried sportful? I got some r&d tights which seem basically the same as sorpasso but can be got for around £100. I wear med and I'm same height but more weighty at 155lb, so small may work for you

I just got some Sportful R&Ds and have to say I'm really pleased with them. Got Wiggle to price match BikeInn so picked them up for about 75 quid.

For the OP though they may be a little long in the leg. I'm 6'4" and the large are long enough for me. A lot of the Wiggle reviews comment on the leg length being quite long.

Have a look at Morvelo Prisma Stormshield tights. I had to send a pair back as they were far too short for me in size large. Nice snug fit though. They seemed a very nice quality bit of kit, with windproof and water resistant panels on the front. If you sign up to the Morvelo newsletter you get 15% off your first order via their website.
  • I have DHB ASV tights in a small. I'm the same height as you and the length is perfect, I'm a fair bit heavier at around 72kg but I would say that they only fit me because they have enough stretch in them - ASV is the 'professional' range from DHB so it's designed for the slimmer rider.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im 172 and 69kg i wear small in castelli and it fits me great...
  • Since Xmas I have tried medium Galibier bib tights; zips broke and a tight fit. Craft Storm bib tights - medium, but would need Forsteman's thighs and Andy Shleck's height to fill them. So having read this, I've just pressed the button on the Sportful R&D medium, £58 after some googling. I'm 177 and 70kg. So we will see.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    spasypaddy wrote:

Really?

I have the small free race and it's tight enough it feels compressive on the thighs but the junk feels pretty smashed down!
  • Since Xmas I have tried medium Galibier bib tights; zips broke and a tight fit. Craft Storm bib tights - medium, but would need Forsteman's thighs and Andy Shleck's height to fill them. So having read this, I've just pressed the button on the Sportful R&D medium, £58 after some googling. I'm 177 and 70kg. So we will see.

Hi, have you got a link? Cheapest I can find them is £70 at bike inn so could get wiggle to price match.

Cheers.
  • The Rover wrote:
    Since Xmas I have tried medium Galibier bib tights; zips broke and a tight fit. Craft Storm bib tights - medium, but would need Forsteman's thighs and Andy Shleck's height to fill them. So having read this, I've just pressed the button on the Sportful R&D medium, £58 after some googling. I'm 177 and 70kg. So we will see.

Hi, have you got a link? Cheapest I can find them is £70 at bike inn so could get wiggle to price match.

Cheers.

I ordered from these. http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/brands/sportful/for--men/ Looks like I may well have got the last one, as the bib-tights are no longer listed. The BikeInn / Wiggle is a good deal too and TBH I'd have rather spent an extra £12 and bought from Wiggle.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Any of the Castellis bib tights should fit in medium. I have sorpassos and sorpasso winds and love the fit and a pair of nanoflex pro too. Both fit well and last. I'm 168 and 57kg. Castelli medium shorts fit well but can be a bit long on me but smalls are too snug. Assos smalls fit well.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    spasypaddy wrote:

Really?

I have the small free race and it's tight enough it feels compressive on the thighs but the junk feels pretty smashed down!
    yeah im even in the castelli nanoflex which are tighter than most
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    spasypaddy wrote:

Wow. I'm 170, 64kg and find castelli med b0ll0ck squeezingly tight, but bearable
  • Yeah my nuts can't handle the small nor my arse. I wear a small jersey and jacket, in fact I had to send an Espresso Jacket back in the sales as it just had too much waist. According to Castelli sizing I should be s small as I have a 27" waist but my thighs and arse are proportionally large