Which bike?

BeccaBear116
BeccaBear116 Posts: 3
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm in the market for my first road bike, I'm getting it through cycle to work so can't really do second hand. Looking at around £5/600 mark.

So far been recommended these bad boys...any opinions on which one or if either look terrible?!

Looking to do weekend rides and triathlons/training so nowt too strenuous!!

Thankyou x x

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58AL ... -road-bike

https://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/gt-gts- ... 86553.html

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Look a couple of decent options for your budget.

Maybe try to have a go on a Shimano equipped bike and one with Sram gears and see which type of shifting method you prefer as they're a bit different.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    The SRAM equipped bike is better but then again it is more expensive. 10 speed 105 isn't fantastic, plus the Tektro brakes won't be as good as the SRAM ones.

"If" you can stretch a bit more then I would suggest looking at this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-700-af ... 24331.html

Don't be put off with it being from Decathlon, their Btwin bikes are of good quality and the frame on this model is fairly high end for aluminium and the full 11 speed groupset (other than Crank) is ridiculous at this price point.
  • Thankyou I'll have a look, reassured that none of them are too bad!!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,004
    dstev55 wrote:
    The SRAM equipped bike is better but then again it is more expensive. 10 speed 105 isn't fantastic, plus the Tektro brakes won't be as good as the SRAM ones.

I'm very happy with my 105 (10 speed 5700) and to be honest not really much different from my Ultegra.
    I also have what I assume are Tektro brakes (branded as Focus Concept), these work fine with decent pads.
    IMO both decent spec for £600 (nothing wrong with your other suggestions though).
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:

I'm very happy with my 105 (10 speed 5700) and to be honest not really much different from my Ultegra.
    I also have what I assume are Tektro brakes (branded as Focus Concept), these work fine with decent pads.
    IMO both decent spec for £600 (nothing wrong with your other suggestions though).

The rear changes are fine on my 10 speed 105 but the front changes are well behind the latest 11 speed groupsets. I've ridden both 10 and 11 speed 105 though and the 11 speed is a much better groupset, not just because there is an extra 2 gears either.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,004
    ^I'll concur that the biggest difference is at the front.
    105 still good at the price - but I've never used sram road.

Edit - I've just seen the gt has a tiagra front derailleur, so a slightly lower again.
    So both good value, but the Planet X on the next step up, I'd say.
  • Planet x would be the better buy. For that price it's a good deal. SRAM rival is as good as 105 + the groupset and bike overall is lighter.

I have a planet x now. Service was great. Mine is a RT90 SRAM Force. I always had shimano so thus was my first SRAM bike and I like it. It has a different feel to shimano. SRAM is more direct and mechanical , shimano was smooth and floppy. SRAM shifting is lightning fast though and the double tap is actually much better than shifting over a whole brake lever.

Don't forget planet x's trusty pro carbon. I know its £100 more but carbon and light. You may get more out of it in the long run. They are selling them off at the moment. ! http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV ... -road-bike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have a look around for places selling 2015 or even 2014 models. They will be cheaper and probably have nothing more than a different paint job from the current '16 version.

Shimano will always give you more bang for buck in the grander scheme of things. 105 or even Tiagra is suitable are will be perfectly fine and will mean other parts of the bike may have better kit on it. Buy an expensive carbon bike with ultegra at the lower end of the market = crap wheels and finishing kit. Get a reasonable alu frame with 105 and get better all round kit that feels that bit more plush. Remember carbon is not always better especially at the budget end of the market.