Carbon Wheels 29 ers

smep
smep Posts: 339
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Please has anyone a view on carbon tubeless 29er wheels.
My e bay bike came with new looking DT Swiss wheels with a tubeless tyres, one of which has deflated. Apparently they have not been converted and according to lbs cannot be.
I have been offered some Roval Carbon Control any views please on their quality or recommendations.
Thank you,
Steve

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Carbon rims are oftern very wide and very stiff. Got a set of 28 spoke tubular mtb rims and after i finished building them i relaised i could gone with 24 spokes and they still would have been reliable.

Carbkn rims are very tough that is impact resistant. Obviously wack them to hard and they will crack but the point of failure is load much higher than an alloy rim would tollerate.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pretty much any wheels can be converted to tubeless so I'd suggest your LBS is talking bollocks.

Are they selling the Rovals?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • As per above post, sounds like bu!!$~~t emanating from you lbs! Couple of my mates have successfully converted old rims that were produced before tubeless tyres were even available so were definitely not tubeless rims.
  • smep
    Thanks for the comments will think it through and go collect my bike.
    They said that they wouldn't recommend my wheels and offered some Hope wheels. It was me who mentioned carbons and they came up with the Rovals.
    Will need to think about it all a bit confusing !!
    Steve
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Find a new LBS......

What rim is on the wheel?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • smep
    Thanks
    The wheels are DT Swiss PW 1600 29ers.
    I have gone for a set of the Roval Carbons and can use the DT's as a Winter set I guess.
    Steve
  • The Rookie
    That's a wheelset name, need the rim.....

Never get this winter/summer thing myself, just change tyres!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • smep
    Hi,
    Thanks again.
    The reference on the rim is ETRTO 559X18 ERD 545mm
    Again told by the shop that these can't be made tubeless without confidence?
    Cheers
    Steve
  • cooldad
    Kaching.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404

It can be done, shop just can't be bothered with the hassle.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    smep wrote:
    Hi,
    Thanks again.
    The reference on the rim is ETRTO 559X18 ERD 545mm
    Cheers
    Steve

If the ETRTO of the rim is 559mm, that means it's a 26" wheel
  • smep
    A bit confused as the wheels have Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29" tyres. The frame is A Santa Cruz Tallboy.
    Thanks
    Steve
  • cooldad
    29ers are 622mm
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Sounds like someone may have replaced the stickers on the rim perhaps?
  • smep
    I think that you are maybe right.
    So now I'm wondering whether the wheels are what they say they are.
    There appears no way of finding out as the only reference is on the stickers.
    They look almost brand new.
    The bike is an ebay purchase.
    Any how I have ordered a set of Rovals so hopefully the initial problem is solved.
    Again thanks to those of you who have provided constructive and helpful feedback.
    Steve