Sub £1000 vs Giant Defy 0 = no-brainier?

BradLock
BradLock Posts: 10
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
To me, it looks like the Defy 0 is a complete no-brainer in the sub £1000 category?

High end alli frames... The likes of... Cannondale caad10 (105), Merida reacto 400 (105), specialized Allez elite smart weld (tiagra) vs Defy 0 (105 + ultegra mix) - defy spec wins.

It also seems to be common knowledge that high end alli frame is better than low end carbon frame, especially when there is virtually zero weight difference. So no point exploring those.. Sorry boardman.

Can anybody show me a better sub £1000 bike than the defy 0?

Comments

• Supersix with th 105 ??
  • noste500 wrote:
    Supersix with th 105 ??

£1500 bike really, same as Spesh Tarmac.

Caad10 is abit over £1000 rrp, but 2015 can be had on cycle to work scheme from some bike shops at the moment so is fair to consider it sub £1000, the same can not be said for supersix / Tarmac however -
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    You are aware that the Defy is endurance geometry and the others you have listed are racier, longer/lower?
  • DJ58 wrote:
    You are aware that the Defy is endurance geometry and the others you have listed are racier, longer/lower?

I was told on this forum that geometry is more of a marketing thing and not much more, the better the fit the quicker and more comfortable you will be, it's not about race/endurance it's about how the rider fits to the geometry...

Apparently.

So that being said, what's your point?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think his point is that if you want to be more upright then you may need to change bits on a race geometry bike - probably the stem at least, to get the fit you want. And if you want to get lower down and more stretched out (race geometry) then you may need to change bits on the endurance geometry bike.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Having said that, you may need to change bits on any bike to get the right fit for you.

But the fact that the two different styles are on your list suggests you havent yet worked out what type of bike/riding works best from you and that you havent done the most important thing - test ride a few to see what you like.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    BradLock wrote:
    DJ58 wrote:

I was told on this forum that geometry is more of a marketing thing and not much more, the better the fit the quicker and more comfortable you will be, it's not about race/endurance it's about how the rider fits to the geometry...

Apparently.

My point was that you will be more upright on the Defy compared to the others.

Which is why I advised you in your other post on Road General to go try both geometries, have you done that, or are you comparing specs online?

Someone pointed out that a compact "performance endurance" frame like the Giant Defy will have a longer head tube than a "performance competition" Giant's nomenclature, frame like the TCR or a traditional frame like the Cannodale Caad/SuperSix.

You can slam the stem on the Defy, for example a Med.(50cm) HT 16.5, TT 54.5 wheelbase 99.5, compared to the Med. TCR (47.0cm) TCR HT 14.8, TT 55.5, wheelbase 97.6, longer lower with a shorter wheelbase. Assuming both stock stems are in the same position on the steerer tube and in negative position, you would be more upright on the Defy.

54cm Caad10 has a HT 14.0, TT 54.5 wheelbase 97.5 more like the TCR, though same TT length as the Defy. Buy whichever geo. bike suits your flexibility/proportions/component choice/budget/you prefer the look of.
  • DJ58 wrote:
    BradLock wrote:
    DJ58 wrote:

Apparently.

My point was that you will be more upright on the Defy compared to the others.

Which is why I advised you in your other post on Road General to go try both geometries, have you done that, or are you comparing specs online?

Someone pointed out that a compact "performance endurance" frame like the Giant Defy will have a longer head tube than a "performance competition" Giant's nomenclature, frame like the TCR or a traditional frame like the Cannodale Caad/SuperSix.

You can slam the stem on the Defy, for example a Med.(50cm) HT 16.5, TT 54.5 wheelbase 99.5, compared to the Med. TCR (47.0cm) TCR HT 14.8, TT 55.5, wheelbase 97.6, longer lower with a shorter wheelbase. Assuming both stock stems are in the same position on the steerer tube and in negative position, you would be more upright on the Defy.

54cm Caad10 has a HT 14.0, TT 54.5 wheelbase 97.5 more like the TCR, though same TT length as the Defy. Buy whichever geo. bike suits your flexibility/proportions/component choice/budget/you prefer the look of.

So for me as somebody who does want an endurance geometry, planning to do long rides and currently abit out of shape... The defy is definitely a no-brainer.

Seems pretty clear to me at this point.

Now it's a case of defy 0 vs defy 1, which is essentially a trade off between having either a few ultegra bits or disc brakes, hmmm