700/25 Michelin Pro4 SC Ver2

mugensi
mugensi Posts: 559
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm currently running Pro4 SC's (Ver1) in 700/23 on my good bike and love them, excellent grip and puncture resistance. The only slight complaint I would have is that 23's are quite hard and jarring on rough surfaces when pumped to 90psi F/100psi R

I've done roughly 3000kms on them and the rear tyre has quite a flat profile now although there is no canvas showing yet but they'll need replacing within the next few months,

I was considering getting 25's but reviews for the version1 seem to suggest these are closer to 28mm when inflated which wouldn't work on my bike.

Does anyone know if the V2 tyre in size 25 is the same as the V1? I cant find any reviews which cover this issue for the Ver2 tyre.

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    The pumped width of the tyre would surely change depending on the rim it's installed on?

FWIW. My 25mm Pro4 SC V2 @ 90PSI measures at 27.3mm on the Pacenti SL23 rim.
  • I've had some Pro 4 Sc on for about 6 months/8000km. The rear went from flat profile to canvas all the way round very quickly so I'd replace soon. I've got 25c and run them at around 70psi (80kg combined weight of me and bike). Comfy as he'll and good grip. I'd still go for gp4000s if I could justify the price though. Dunno why just always loved them.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Why not order from Wiggle and do a trial fit, if you are careful so as not to mark the one you use, you can send them back for a refund if they are too big.
  • If it helps, mine on H+ Plus Son Archetype rim (23mm) are 27mm wide.
  • mugensi
    Sorry I should have said, they're going on Zondas (20.5) I think I might stick with the 23's as clearance may be an issue that measures 27+mm when inflated.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have some on Zondas. I have just measured them. They are 27mm wide and 25/26 mm from rim to outer diameter.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    The have a new Power range coming out in the next few months. If your Pro4 could last you could try those. It is a bit risky though. Risky that your existing tyre wears before and risky that the new range are not so good. Could you swap the rear for the front and get a bit more life out of them?
  • mugensi
    lesfirth wrote:
    I have some on Zondas. I have just measured them. They are 27mm wide and 25/26 mm from rim to outer diameter.

Hmmm...I'm tempted to get them and then return them if there are clearance issues.

I find it strange the Michelin can be so far out on their widths. The 23s are 23.5mm wide when inflated to 110psi which is perfectly acceptable but if the 25's are a full 2mm wider then theyre not 25mm tyres, so effectively they currently dont have a 25mm wide tyre which is a PITA as I really like the SC's and theyre a great price.