Geometry

BradLock
BradLock Posts: 10
edited February 2016 in Road general
Race: aggressive, fast, aerodynamic.
Endurance: comfort, steady, pace.

This is how I often see the road disciplines described, and there's something confusing me -

Many cyclists go for an all-out race geometry on a race bike, designed for... Racing, and use the bike every weekend for - their 50-100 mile endurance rides? Many of which have never raced before and likely never will.

As a complete beginner about to buy my first road bike, it's confusing to know that so many cyclists are using race geometries for endurance purposes, I am in no way slandering this (I'm a beginner, in no position to slander), I'm just posing my confusion to people who know better (you guys)...

If you're doing 100 miles on a Saturday morning, would it not make more sense to do it on a bike designed with a comfortable endurance geometry rather than an aggressive race geometry?

Comments

• Depends on your flexibility. If you can get low into a 'race' position *and* be comfortable, which many can, then you're going to be able to do your 100 miles easier as you're more aero.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Yes, but Alberto/Chris/Bradley/etc use the race geometry so it must be "better"
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Different strokes for different folks
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Its just marketing hype. Different geometry suits different people with different body proportions and flexibility.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    'Race' geometry bikes are routinely used for 5-6 hour tour stages and/or 150 mile classics. If that isn't 'endurance' then I don't know what is. Geometry has been hijacked by advertisers and turned into a load of marketing bollox.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Best thing to do is to visit your lbs and try both geometries out.
  • Imposter wrote:
    'Race' geometry bikes are routinely used for 5-6 hour tour stages and/or 150 mile classics. If that isn't 'endurance' then I don't know what is. Geometry has been hijacked by advertisers and turned into a load of marketing bollox.

This. Plus blame Mike Burrows, who designed compact bike frames in Small, Medium, Large etc with a sloping top tube and ended up having to produce stupidly long headtubes to compensate for the smaller frame
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    race geometry is just a flipped stem and a coupe of spacers away from endurance geometry anyway.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Imposter wrote:

What he said. Plus disc brakes.
  • Ignore the marketing nonsense and do some reading. A rudimentary understanding of bike geometry is far better than buying based on 'race', 'endurance', 'sportive', etc. You'll also hopefully end up with the most suitable bike for your needs.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As above its just mainly marketing spin. Forget the labels and get the bike that fits you with the features you need.
  • It's marketing spin that helps people buy a bike that suits them - pretty damn useful i'd say.

Helps prevent fat or inflexible mamils wasting money on too aggressive a bike (assuming they can't be asked spending hours working out what frame geometry might suit them using just numbers)
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177

Helps prevent fat or inflexible mamils wasting money on too aggressive a bike (assuming they can't be asked spending hours working out what frame geometry might suit them using just numbers)

I see far too many pro rac frames with 25mm+ of spacers to believe this
  • There was a time not too long ago when there was no such thing as an 'Endurance' or 'Sportive' geometry. You just rode a race bike you were comfortable on. Now if you do this people think you are trying to imitate a professional. Weird.