La Primavera

2»

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    :evil:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,538
    No one has won twice since 2007, so maybe it will again be a new winner. Sagan should be there too.

I like the race because different types of riders try to win e.g. Cavendish vs Cancellera vs Gilbert vs Nibali. Although the last two haven't actually managed to win and history shows it is frequently a sprinter who can climb bit.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    For all that it tends to end up with a bunch sprint, it's not really a full out peloton led sprint, with big trains etc. I like the fact that it's pretty much impossible to control, so any sprinters in the mix have to fight their own battles for position. It's a great leveler.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I think the less people talk about sagan the more likely he is to nick it, guess his chances depends a lot on if he focusses on MSR or saves the form and bit for flanders/P-R
  • No helmets, what a time to be alive.

Indeed. Clearly the UCI knew about motors in bikes and introduced helmets as a precautionary measure. :lol:

Sorry Rick

Is it too early for a Kelly descending clip?

What a question!!

I don't know what I was thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL3jQmkj3uI

What was I thinking as I plummeted down the descent of the Poggio in pursuit of Moreno Argentin? Was I really a man possessed, as they said? Had I abandoned all thoughts for my safety? Did I care whether I ended up toppling over the low wall and shattering through the roof of one of the glasshouses below?

None of this mattered. I was thinking of winning, nothing else. I was going to give everything to catch Argentin and win the race. If I finished the day lying on my face among the tomato plants and shards of glass, so be it.

A masterclass. Never gets any less exciting.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    If Gaviria gets over the Poggio with the leading group, which he has just recce'd, then he will win it.

http://cyclingquotes.com/news/gaviria_c ... rm4UmqK.97

You're welcome.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Love the care they give the Motorola rider in that Kelly video. He's obviously in serious pain and they just drag him off the road.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Best bit about that clip is the gasp and groan the crowd makes when the tannoy announces Kelly's arrival on Argentin's wheel.
  • Best bit about that clip is the gasp and groan the crowd makes when the tannoy announces Kelly's arrival on Argentin's wheel.
    Duufers commentary doesn't quite catch it does it
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    On paper, isn't this the perfect parcour for a Sagan victory?

Are there any legitimate reasons why he has not won it before?
    Half man, Half bike
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    There used to be signs that he couldn't quite get the distance (cliche alert). But with his win at the Worlds that doesn't really hold water. On paper it is the perfect race for him.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I know Spring has Sprunged. Springed. It's Spring somewhere.
    Milan-San-Remo-cliffs1.jpg
    This happened last week when the Trofeo-Laigueglia came over this coast road in both directions.
    MSR should use some of these roads with better climbs to sort out the bloody sprinter teams.
    Kelly would never have won with these finishes being so flat for so long.
    Lets hope it Snows to make it interesting this year. yawn zzzzzzzz

http://www.steephill.tv/2015/trofeo-lai ... 413207.jpg
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I'd like to see a non sprinter win for a change. But i whole heartedly disagree with their previous plans to add extra climbs to make it harder. There's enough races with late hills for which you can pick the majority of the top ten. I like the different possibilities at MSR.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    gsk82 wrote:
    I'd like to see a non sprinter win for a change. But i whole heartedly disagree with their previous plans to add extra climbs to make it harder. There's enough races with late hills for which you can pick the majority of the top ten. I like the different possibilities at MSR.
    And I used to love MSR when one or two riders made a break on the Poggio
    and they would finish about one and a half Kilometers from when they rejoined the main road.
    There was no chance for the sprint teams to get organised and I quote an item from years ago about the days when Sean Kelly, Gianni Bugno, Laurent Fignon and Tom Simpson.
    After the pile up in 1993 the finish was moved to the via Roma and the Corso Cavalotti has not been used as the finish since.
    That year the Official cars parked up just after the finish line and riders came crashing into them.
    Then came that Drugged up "EPO" Team Deutsche Telekom who could get many riders over the Poggio to lead out that Fraud Erik Zabel to his many wins.

I believe it's not so much Dope these days and more to do with riders traveling around the world to get so many racing miles in their legs before MSR that allows teams to organise their sprinters.
    So please make it more interesting for the Rouleurs.
    I always watch through Allasio and the coast road to see how my local knowledge is changing but Gawd almighty not another Sprint peloton finish.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    deejay wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    And I used to love MSR when one or two riders made a break on the Poggio
    and they would finish about one and a half Kilometers from when they rejoined the main road.
    There was no chance for the sprint teams to get organised and I quote an item from years ago about the days when Sean Kelly, Gianni Bugno, Laurent Fignon and Tom Simpson.
    After the pile up in 1993 the finish was moved to the via Roma and the Corso Cavalotti has not been used as the finish since.
    That year the Official cars parked up just after the finish line and riders came crashing into them.
    Then came that Drugged up "EPO" Team Deutsche Telekom who could get many riders over the Poggio to lead out that Fraud Erik Zabel to his many wins.

I believe it's not so much Dope these days and more to do with riders traveling around the world to get so many racing miles in their legs before MSR that allows teams to organise their sprinters.
    So please make it more interesting for the Rouleurs.
    I always watch through Allasio and the coast road to see how my local knowledge is changing but Gawd almighty not another Sprint peloton finish.

It's fair that there's a monument than sprinters can win.
  • It's not a "sprinters get their teams organised" "full lead out" race thought is it?

Evidence last year when Kristoff had Paolini do a single handed job trying to get him into position, but ultimately not having enough team mates there to do the job
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Cosmo Catalano summed it up perfectly in the How the Race Was Won - that despite Degenkolb having no team mates in the finale, his team did a lot of work to make sure that he didn't have to do any fighting for position until as late as possible, because 60 seconds of argy bargy is a lot easier when you have had a comfortable ride until then, unlike Kristoff