Buying a Helmet?

Universal2016
Universal2016 Posts: 7
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Not that I intend on crashing, but it would probably be a very good idea to get a helmet to use on my leisurely trail rides.

There seems to be quite a range of options out there. What should I look for when buying? I am guessing getting the cheapest one money can buy would not be wise, and that the more you spend, the better protection you get, but what should I be looking at cost wise in terms of something that will (hopefully) save the day if/when I do come off the bike?

Also are there any features/standards I should be looking for? And is it a case of finding a shop to try them out first to get a better fitting? or is just buying online fine?

Any advice/recommendations/experiences with what use would be greatly appreciated! Also are any brands good or any to avoid?

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I really suggest trying some out, it's really important that it fits your head. Some brands are shaped only for some heads, so if you at least try a similar model as what you want you know if it works for you at all. Then there are obviously lots of sizing issues... If you don't want to have to send back a package a few times, just try some on, there is no reason not to.
    Fortunately I have found a brand I really like, called Giro. I'm at the point where I know their helmets fit my head, no matter what model or purpose.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Even the cheapest helmets meet the required safety standards. The extra cost gives you better comfort, better quality and added protection features and better cooling.
    Get to a shop to find one that fits.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Try loads on and pick the one you like from the ones that fit you well. Up to a point a higher price means a better more adjustable fit. After that they are just out to fleece people.
  • Like the guys have said, get out to a shop with a decent range of helmets and try try try! Also don't be scared to take it back if you get it home and find the fits just not quite right. Most bike shops should have someone available to assist you with fitting too
  • Have a look on the Swedish Bicycle crash test helmet .... After my accident my Specialized was totally exploded. Reviewed this test (http://www.folksam.se/polopoly_fs/1.139 ... 202015.pdf)
    ....and bought a POC Octal AVIP MIPS :-)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's not necessarily a bad sign if a helmet is destroyed by an accident.
    The energy is dissipated by destroying the helmet instead of your head.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    As above, they will all meet a safety standard. Try decathlon for a decent helmet at a budget price there are also plenty of different sizes there to try. You can pay extra for MIPS protection if you want.

The really, really important thing is to avoid looking like you have a giant mushroom on your head.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1 for Decathlon, they have a decent range at decent prices to suite different budgets, I have one and so does a friend at work.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    I've got an Urge Enduromatic, the comfort & fit is so much better than a cheaper lid. Definately go and try some on because a better fitting cheap lid will be better than an ill fitting expensive one.