Thursday?

Comments

• The first year we had our stove I had to buy two bulk bags of logs at £90 and that year coincided nicely with the felling of lots of trees at the local rail station to create disabled ramps, a nice chat with the foreman and hey presto, two full trips in my Navara full of oak.

Since then I've kept my eyes open and done the same several times over so I chop my own wood so have a hydraulic splitter and am currently on my second chainsaw.

Mrs HD works from home and having the heating on for 12 hours a day in winter would be a killer so fitting the log burner sort of subsidises that and my chainsaw fettish.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • p.s, get hard wood if you can.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    p.s, get hard wood if you can.

Yep - mostly oak at the new house
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    This is turning into a thread for a bunch of choppers :)

What you need is a t-shirt like Nick Frost has:
    film-shaun_of_the_dead-2004-ed-nick_frost-tshirts-got_wood_tshirt-595x335.jpg
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    p.s, get hard wood if you can.
    Some on here are so old just getting wood is an achievement.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Ideally, a mix of hardwoods for keeping it ticking over and softwoods for getting it up to heat quickly. The hardwoods aren't seasoned enough but hardwoods are slightly over-rated. If you pay £15-20 more for it but it burns a little slower, the only gain is that you aren't feeding the WB quite so often.
    I used to be in contact with the foremen of 2 local timber frame builders who made trusses for houses and they always had a huge surplus of off cuts. These were taken to a local quarry and burnt. I stepped in and cleaned up all the off cuts which in turn did them a favour but it was a lot of work and I had to clear a 3 hour window every other Friday to collect.
    It was good while it lasted until one went bust and the other had a boss who took um to it all and chucked the 'Elf n safety book around citing site safety and BS.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I've just got wood in Mrs HDs mini.

I hate it when I have to use her car for work...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • tlw1
    Pinno wrote:
    Ideally, a mix of hardwoods for keeping it ticking over and softwoods for getting it up to heat quickly. The hardwoods aren't seasoned enough but hardwoods are slightly over-rated. If you pay £15-20 more for it but it burns a little slower, the only gain is that you aren't feeding the WB quite so often.
    I used to be in contact with the foremen of 2 local timber frame builders who made trusses for houses and they always had a huge surplus of off cuts. These were taken to a local quarry and burnt. I stepped in and cleaned up all the off cuts which in turn did them a favour but it was a lot of work and I had to clear a 3 hour window every other Friday to collect.
    It was good while it lasted until one went bust and the other had a boss who took um to it all and chucked the 'Elf n safety book around citing site safety and BS.

Pay for wood?

Tried it once, didn't like it (though cheaper than the 2,700 litres of oil I bought yesterday)
  • pinno
    TLW1 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Pay for wood?

Tried it once, didn't like it (though cheaper than the 2,700 litres of oil I bought yesterday)

I could have sold you the oil really cheap.
  • tlw1
    Pinno wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Pay for wood?

I could have sold you the oil really cheap.

The house has a 40+ year old boiler and an aga - I will need some more oil soon!
  • pinno
    Cooking oil burns just ace with 15% heating oil mixed in. Smells like a chippy but hey - it's cheap.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Anyone heard of clear view stoves, extremely efficient as woodburners?

I do miss my wood burning stove but the ash was a killer. We couldn't afford to replace the old stove with a more efficient model but the smell, sound and heat were fantastic.

It also had a price war raging, the local farmers son, Noel and an old chap who was in his eighties. Not wanting to offend anyone we used both suppliers but the old guy was fit a a fiddle and his movement was so fluid when he was unloading the logs.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    Slowmart wrote:

I do miss my wood burning stove but the ash was a killer. We couldn't afford to replace the old stove with a more efficient model but the smell, sound and heat were fantastic.

It also had a price war raging, the local farmers son, Noel and an old chap who was in his eighties. Not wanting to offend anyone we used both suppliers but the old guy was fit a a fiddle and his movement was so fluid when he was unloading the logs.

Only £1400 odd - with a free pair of gloves:

http://www.abell.co.uk/product/clearvie ... 0wodBX4BNA

The thing is, a lot of that cost is ramped up marketing shyte. A wood burner needs to be heavy. The heavier the better. It is key to the heat it kicks out and how long it retains the heat. I bought and fitted my wetback. It cost £640 and has worked very well. It weighs a hell of a lot. I know people locally who have them and 1 or 2 smugly revealed how much theirs cost but later bemoaned clogging, rope seals going, glass cracking, grate's burning out etc.
  • slowmart
    Pinno wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

The thing is, a lot of that cost is ramped up marketing shyte. A wood burner needs to be heavy. The heavier the better. It is key to the heat it kicks out and how long it retains the heat. I bought and fitted my wetback. It cost £640 and has worked very well. It weighs a hell of a lot. I know people locally who have them and 1 or 2 smugly revealed how much theirs cost but later bemoaned clogging, rope seals going, glass cracking, grate's burning out etc.

I didn't know about the longevity or build issues? The neighbours had one and I looked enviously at the slow burn of wood while my old stove burned through copious amounts. I bought the kindling from the local council workshops which at the time still made wooden windows which shows you how long ago it was. :shock:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    Slowmart wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Anyone...logs.

The...was. :shock:

Not through the old YOP scheme surely ? :lol:
  • tlw1
    We had a clear view at the old house and it did burn really efficiently. The one at this house is a massive American one, which you can top load and has a fitted fire guard do you can have the doors open - Great for roaring fires, I just need to spend some time to get it slow burning
  • slowmart
    Excessive yank consumption, nothing new there then.

Desmond Tutu
  • tlw1
    Slowmart wrote:
    Excessive yank consumption, nothing new there then.

http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/vermont-ca ... wgodj1ECTg

Feck - just googled it!
  • Stevo_666
    TLW1 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    [
    The house has a 40+ year old boiler and an aga - I will need some more oil soon!
    I think quote a few of us have 40+ year old boilers, except that most of them run on money...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    My boiler is only 32 years old.
  • tlw1
    Pinno wrote:

did you like the picture of mine? ;)
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    We've never heard that before :wink:

Btw that's the age you normally replace boilers.
  • pinno
    TLW1 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Yep, looking good for 40. From here on in, it'll be touch and go. Especially when the plumbing gets all hormonal on you.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Yep, looking good for 40. From here on in, it'll be touch and go. Especially when the plumbing gets all hormonal on you.
    When your boiler grows a 'tache, it's definitely time to replace it.
  • Saturday, endured an hour on the bike in howling wind and driving rain. Spotted some logs.

Sunday, endured half an hour in howling wind and driving rain filling the back of my Navara with said logs.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    Saturday, endured an hour on the bike in howling wind and driving rain. Spotted some logs.

Sunday, endured half an hour in howling wind and driving rain filling the back of my Navara with said logs.

Don't you like chronological order?
  • veronese68
    Pinno wrote:
    Saturday, endured an hour on the bike in howling wind and driving rain. Spotted some logs.

I think time dictates the order in this case. He couldn't exactly spot the logs on Sunday and then pick them up the day before. I don't think time travel is possible. I'd say not yet, but, if it is invented in 2,000 years it would be possible now as the time traveller would just have to come back to now to make it possible now.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

I think time dictates the order in this case. He couldn't exactly spot the logs on Sunday and then pick them up the day before. I don't think time travel is possible. I'd say not yet, but, if it is invented in 2,000 years it would be possible now as the time traveller would just have to come back to now to make it possible now.

No, you're just a plonker holding the wrong end of the stick.

I was referring to posting in the Thursday thread on Monday for occurrences on a Saturday and Sunday. Pretty mixed up, don't you think?
  • veronese68
    Pinno wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

No, you're just a plonker holding the wrong end of the stick.

I was referring to posting in the Thursday thread on Monday for occurrences on a Saturday and Sunday. Pretty mixed up, don't you think?
    No, it follows on the wood burner topic. As is often the case this thread has veered wildly off topic and is now about old boilers and wood burners, not just Thursday shenanigans. I was being deliberately obtuse just for the hell of it. So less of a plonker and more of a smartarse tosser I'd say. I'd have used a word that rhymes with anchor but it probably gets blocked.
  • veronese68
    Answer moved to the Monday thread to suit Piña.