Sticking thruaxle

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Had this a couple of times an its bleeding annoying. Thruaxle on my forks sticks making it a pig to try an remove. I tried some teflon grease which if anything acted like a glue. I was out an had to force them free so ended up putting some chain lube on which seems to have worked short term. Long term though is copper anti seize still the best bet?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just grease. I use ordinary WB grease for most things. Cheap and golden.
    If teflon grease acts like glue you might want to put your glasses on when applying. To make sure it's not actually glue.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Teflon grease or Lithium grease? Lithium grease does go very gooey......

Not much point putting teflon in grease if you think about it.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    Defiantly Teflon, I say like glue, more like it seems not to help, though to be fair I only applied it to the thread an after looking at the axle the whole thing probably needs a smothering.

I used some Weldtite with Teflon ill give the whole thing a good coating of lith grease an see if it sticks, if it does itll be the tub of copper slip.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what axle is it?

there is not much need for any grease as there is no moving parts.

something to stop and chemical bonding would be good but it is more likely to be a mechanical issue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I doubt it's the threads causing the issue, more likely where the bearing inner races are a snug fit on the axle.

Teflon in grease is pretty much a waste of time, and I agree with Nick, you want something to prevent seizing (of the aluminium axle to the steel bearing race).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    I have some Maguras with a Maxle - tends to seize up a bit if left in after wet rides, keeping it greased just makes life easier than whacking it.

I'm sure anything would work, as Nick said, but the pot is there and convenient.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • step83
    True, I'll use the lith grease, its cheap an not like im going to run out any time soon.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A sticking axle can be a sign of a twisted or bent fork, quite common on downhill dual crown forks.
  • It really is and rather than an
  • step83
    A sticking axle can be a sign of a twisted or bent fork, quite common on downhill dual crown forks.

Ill put a straight edge over them to check gave them a good covering of lith last night so gives me an excuse to check theyve not seized again.
  • cooldad
    Mine comes out easily enough unless it's been left cruddy for a while.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • How often do you remove the axle? The steel race of the wheel bearing can corrode on the aluminium axle making it tough to remove. Smear of grease over the axle should prevent this.
  • step83
    rusty77 wrote:
    How often do you remove the axle? The steel race of the wheel bearing can corrode on the aluminium axle making it tough to remove. Smear of grease over the axle should prevent this.

Usually once a week, tried it this morning as im meant to be riding tonight. Came out fine the load of white grease is doing its job. Just have to remember to keep it in a plastic bag so I dont get grease all over the boot of the car.