Advice For A Big Guy

CarlM1985
CarlM1985 Posts: 5
edited February 2016 in Road beginners
Hi all...

Long story short, i'm 30 an weighing around 26 stone and feel it's time to make a change albeit baby steps at the moment.

I'd like advice on what kind of bike would be suitable for a man of my size, as in what would be able to take the weight and have a long lasting use.

What i'd like to start doing is cycling to work just to start off, my work is about a 10 minute drive in the car and at a rough guess maybe 20/25 minutes on the bike, for me anyway being totally new and not really riding a bike since i was about 18.

Rough price range maybe around £300/400, willing to go higher if a certain bike is a must.

So i ask if you lovely people would be able to advise me on what i should be looking at...

Pictures of recommended bikes would be great and also any links with view to buy would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would look at getting a flat bar hybrid bike. You can commute and casual ride it. They are not quite road bikes or mountain bikes and are good in all conditions. You could get a very good one with front suspension and disc brakes easily for 400ish.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    CarlM1985 wrote:
    Hi all...

Long story short, i'm 30 an weighing around 26 stone and feel it's time to make a change albeit baby steps at the moment.

I'd like advice on what kind of bike would be suitable for a man of my size, as in what would be able to take the weight and have a long lasting use.

What i'd like to start doing is cycling to work just to start off, my work is about a 10 minute drive in the car and at a rough guess maybe 20/25 minutes on the bike, for me anyway being totally new and not really riding a bike since i was about 18.

Rough price range maybe around £300/400, willing to go higher if a certain bike is a must.

So i ask if you lovely people would be able to advise me on what i should be looking at...

Pictures of recommended bikes would be great and also any links with view to buy would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl

I had a quick look on Evans Cycles website. Loads of hybrid bikes on there, less than £400, some with disc brakes. I wouldn't get anything with suspension, completely unnecessary for road riding and trail riding.

If you have an Evans Cycles near you, then your best bet would be to call in.

https://www.evanscycles.com/bikes/hybri ... IncMax=395

Other bike shops are available...
  • Thanks for the replies :-)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    One thing to keep in mind is the manufacturers maximum weight limits. At about 360lbs you need a strong bike with stronger wheels. Best to look at mountain bikes as they are build to take more stresses. If possible get a fully rigid bike without front suspension.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have a version of this

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-LTD-CLS-Pro-2014-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_66635.htm

Its better than getting a MTB as it has larger diameter wheels for riding on the road coupled with close to road bike gears. 622 size wheels with 44 mm tyres roll very well in all conditions - MTB's on the road are crap for commuting.

The front suspension is not a neccesity but I do find it useful if I am going across rougher ground.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    This is not bad for the money and is similar to a rigid 29" wheeled MTB, I think I read that a forum members son on the MTB/Commuting forum uses one as such with off road tyres. Would be fine for what you want and has hydraulic disc brakes.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... ybrid-bike
  • I like the look of that one, cheers DJ.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    DJ58 wrote:
    This is not bad for the money and is similar to a rigid 29" wheeled MTB, I think I read that a forum members son on the MTB/Commuting forum uses one as such with off road tyres. Would be fine for what you want and has hydraulic disc brakes.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... ybrid-bike

That looks a good deal and fit.
  • Not sure what your level of fitness is at the moment but something that you might consider is that if you are starting out, even a 30 minute ride is going to leave you quite hot and sweaty, do you have shower facilities at work?

Not that I'd want to put you off cycling but don't be too ambitious to start with, inevitably it's likely to be uncomfortable at first, but as others have said choose the right bike for where you are at now. I'd think the weight will literally fall off as you start. If it's 25 minutes to cycle it might be about 45 minutes to walk? How about mixing that up, this'll mean you are getting some great exercise and letting your body recover from the initial aches from the bike.

All the best
  • Hardtail mtb I recon, get yourself a decent D Lock and start commuting daily. Go to your nearest bike shop to get an idea of frame size and go from there (order online or from the lbs), fitness will go up and your weight should go down.

Good luck!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Also - check with your employer if they do a cycle-to-work scheme, if this is appropriate (ie if you're not self-employed). You can get much more bang-for-your-buck with a salary sacrifice scheme.

Apologies if you've already looked into this.
  • Not sure what your level of fitness is at the moment but something that you might consider is that if you are starting out, even a 30 minute ride is going to leave you quite hot and sweaty, do you have shower facilities at work?

Not that I'd want to put you off cycling but don't be too ambitious to start with, inevitably it's likely to be uncomfortable at first, but as others have said choose the right bike for where you are at now. I'd think the weight will literally fall off as you start. If it's 25 minutes to cycle it might be about 45 minutes to walk? How about mixing that up, this'll mean you are getting some great exercise and letting your body recover from the initial aches from the bike.

All the best

Yeah i totally agree, what i was planning on doing was starting off with some light cycling around my area.

What my plan was, was to do a few test rides to work then ride back home on my days off and then i can get an idea of time frame and just how tired i'll probably be to start off.

Unfortunately no shower facilities, so the plan was to get to work a little earlier than usual and clean up and change in to my work clothes. Fortunately i work alone for 8 hours, so should i feel properly unclean which i probably will i wont make it uncomfortable for others.
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Hardtail mtb I recon, get yourself a decent D Lock and start commuting daily. Go to your nearest bike shop to get an idea of frame size and go from there (order online or from the lbs), fitness will go up and your weight should go down.

Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.
    Also - check with your employer if they do a cycle-to-work scheme, if this is appropriate (ie if you're not self-employed). You can get much more bang-for-your-buck with a salary sacrifice scheme.

Apologies if you've already looked into this.

I've not looked into it, thank you for suggesting it i will most certainly be checking that out.