Unresponsive gears - how to fix?

Mortsty
Mortsty Posts: 18
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all,

I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but for some reason one of my bicycle gears has now become totally unresponsive in the fact that whilst the gear itself moves there is no actually change with regards to the chain moving up and down. The other one is perfectly fine, so I was wondering what could be the problem?

The bicycle has disc brakes, and has shimano gears and is a GT aggressor.

I would love to be able to fix it myself but if its too complicated I don't want to risk it and would rather take it to a shop to be fixed.

Thank you for your time and help,

Samuel

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Go to park tool's website and read their guide on indexing gears, simple.

Most likely
    1/ Cable tension or
    2/ Sticky cable (you'll be able to shift down gears OK, but have trouble shifting up to a higher (smaller) gear)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    New cables (inners and outers).
    Easy job.
    Park tools or youtube for help.

I need to do my bike as well when I get some time.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    yep as above a set of new cables (might not be needed as unknown to how old the bike is) and re index the gears will sort the problem.

Loads of videos on youtube and the park tools guides to help, I tend to prefer watching how to videos over the written park tools guides.