Dynamo hubs?

MiniMalts
MiniMalts Posts: 266
edited April 2016 in Tour & expedition
Any recommendations?

Two I also have in mind..

Shutter precision PD-8X - This is what is fitted to the Genesis 2016 TdF. I have a 2015 CdF.

And, I was recommended a 9 series hub from these guys. http://www.sp-dynamo.com/8Xseriesdynamo%20hub.html

Any thought on either of these two or is there something better?

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Schmidt SON

There is nothing better.

They are big bucks, but are the absolute best. 50000km service interval and utterly bombproof. Most efficient of all dynohubs as well.

Mine have all been faultless.

The SP are well regarded, however are not as serviceable. Same with Shimano.

But you can not get better than a SON
  • marcusjb wrote:
    Schmidt SON

There is nothing better.

They are big bucks, but are the absolute best. 50000km service interval and utterly bombproof. Most efficient of all dynohubs as well.

Mine have all been faultless.

The SP are well regarded, however are not as serviceable. Same with Shimano.

But you can not get better than a SON

Ouch, pricey!

I need 32H and centre lock for the disc brake. Any specific model you would recommend? There seems to many different models and as I don't know anything about this...
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I use a SON Delux; it's bombproof, light and low-drag. And madly expensive. I've built several wheels using the Shutter Precision. Two of them did Paris-Brest-Paris. Both were fine. Buy the SON if you don't mind the cost - Starbike with the WW discount is probably best, Euro/GBP rate permitting.

Otherwise get the SP. Hot tip: SPA Cycles were selling them at pretty close to cost last time I bought one.
  • marcusjb
    SON 28 is the best all rounder, particularly if you want to use it to charge electronics during the day and particularly at slower speeds when touring.

Available with centre lock.

SONdelux is lighter and works well, but can be a little flickery at lower speeds.

SON 28 is the best bet unless you are truly bothered about weight.

I use SONdelux on the distance bikes and SON 28 on tourer.
  • 964Cup wrote:
    I use a SON Delux; it's bombproof, light and low-drag. And madly expensive. I've built several wheels using the Shutter Precision. Two of them did Paris-Brest-Paris. Both were fine. Buy the SON if you don't mind the cost - Starbike with the WW discount is probably best, Euro/GBP rate permitting.

Otherwise get the SP. Hot tip: SPA Cycles were selling them at pretty close to cost last time I bought one.

WW discount?

These hubs can also charge mobile phones and the like too?
  • marcusjb wrote:
    SON 28 is the best all rounder, particularly if you want to use it to charge electronics during the day and particularly at slower speeds when touring.

Available with centre lock.

SONdelux is lighter and works well, but can be a little flickery at lower speeds.

SON 28 is the best bet unless you are truly bothered about weight.

I use SONdelux on the distance bikes and SON 28 on tourer.

This one then?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schmidt-son- ... u=27091h32
  • Poitr
    Poitr Posts: 35
    That seems an incredible amount of money for a 3w output. A 10watt solar USB charger is only £25. What are you using it for?
  • marcusjb
    Just to answer a couple of the questions.

Yes that one from SJS is the one you want for centrelock.

Charging phones etc. - yes all possible, less so at night (when you have the light on). You need either a light that has a USB output (I use the B&M Luxos U) or another device like the tout terrain plug, the sine wave, B&M e-werk etc.

I prefer it all built into the light with a USB socket on my handlebars.

Personally I do not use it to charge the phone or GPS directly. Though it is fully regulated etc., I would rather use it to charge a battery pack costing £20 than a £500 phone or whatever. Works well and I charge the battery pack during the day.
  • marcusjb
    Poitr wrote:
    That seems an incredible amount of money for a 3w output. A 10watt solar USB charger is only £25. What are you using it for?

You do realise the main use of a dynohub is to power a light? You know, like at night? When solar doesn't work that well.

You can get cheaper dynohubs, starting at less than £50, but the SON is the best available, yes it is expensive, but they will not let you down.
  • Poitr
    marcusjb wrote:
    Poitr wrote:

You do realise the main use of a dynohub is to power a light? You know, like at night? When solar doesn't work that well.

You can get cheaper dynohubs, starting at less than £50, but the SON is the best available, yes it is expensive, but they will not let you down.
    Yes I realise but why not use a solar panel to charge a rechargeable light, and your phone and a battery bank and whatever else you want to take with you. A 3w output isn't going to do a lot of charging even when the light is off.
  • marcusjb
    It's an option for sure. I guess you could only really use a solar panel when stopped though? Too big to mount on your bike in use?

Dynohubs are just so easy though. No messing about, light stays on all night, charge stuff during the day. I can be off grid indefinitely whilst still managing to be on the bike 18+ hours a day.

The downsides of dynohubs are extra weight and extra drag - neither of which are truly perceivable in use anyway.
  • Poitr
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/1819694 ... ue&viphx=1
    You can hang it of your pack or lay it across panniers etc while riding. This one's 20w.
  • marcusjb
    Sounds great and if it works for you, then brilliant.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    It's worth thinking about buying from one of the German online retailers.

http://www.bike24.com/p216941.html (208€)

(IME bike24.com are very good as are Rose Bikes).

I have some solar-powered lights at home and I've been impressed by their performance, but I'm sceptical about the value of having one draped over the back of the bike (although it will work if you are moving). There's a risk of 'buy cheap buy twice' The cheapest and most reliable solution is a simple campsite hook-up cable. Yeah I know not very exciting, but it works.
  • andymiller wrote:
    It's worth thinking about buying from one of the German online retailers.

http://www.bike24.com/p216941.html (208€)

It isn't centre lock disc compatible though. ;)

£200 is an awful lot of money. I think I'll go for an SP model at half the price.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    MiniMalts wrote:
    WW discount?

Sorry, I'm in full nerd-mode at the moment. Too much work when I'm supposed to be on holiday.

Starbike hosts the weight-weenies forum (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/). If you join that forum and have 10 posts in the last 30 days, you get a 5% discount from Starbike (provided you have a logged-in forum session open in another tab before you go to checkout).

Yes, the SON Delux will charge stuff, provided you have a USB adapter. I have an e-werk; there are also some neat ones that integrate into your top-cap. You can't charge stuff and run lights at the same time, and charging is fairly slow.

The Delux is flickery below 12-ish kph. Only really a problem if you're struggling up some hideous gradient in the middle of the night. The compensation is lower weight and lower drag (both loaded - light on - and unloaded - light off). It's because the Delux was originally intended for Bromptons and the like, with 20" wheels, which obviously spin faster for the same forward speed.

I use mine for commuting (how nice it is never to have to worry if my lights are charged) and for Audax. If I was going to do any serious touring (i.e. heavily laden, so potentially very slow up hills) or some kind of mountain Audax, I'd use a 28 instead (or an SP).
  • 964Cup wrote:
    MiniMalts wrote:
    WW discount?

Sorry, I'm in full nerd-mode at the moment. Too much work when I'm supposed to be on holiday.

Starbike hosts the weight-weenies forum (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/). If you join that forum and have 10 posts in the last 30 days, you get a 5% discount from Starbike (provided you have a logged-in forum session open in another tab before you go to checkout).

Yes, the SON Delux will charge stuff, provided you have a USB adapter. I have an e-werk; there are also some neat ones that integrate into your top-cap. You can't charge stuff and run lights at the same time, and charging is fairly slow.

The Delux is flickery below 12-ish kph. Only really a problem if you're struggling up some hideous gradient in the middle of the night. The compensation is lower weight and lower drag (both loaded - light on - and unloaded - light off). It's because the Delux was originally intended for Bromptons and the like, with 20" wheels, which obviously spin faster for the same forward speed.

I use mine for commuting (how nice it is never to have to worry if my lights are charged) and for Audax. If I was going to do any serious touring (i.e. heavily laden, so potentially very slow up hills) or some kind of mountain Audax, I'd use a 28 instead (or an SP).

Definitely going for an SP. Only need it to keep my battery pack topped up and from that I will charge my watch, phone and GPS.
  • MiniMalts
    So I finally settled on a Shutter Precision PL-8 hub. It's currently at a LBS in York being built in to a wheel I managed to pick up cheap down there.

So I know I need 'The Plug III' to be able charge my devices from.

Now I'm looking at lights and the two that have caught my attention are these...

http://www.nabendynamo.de/produkte/edeluxii_en.html

which from what I can see means I would have to be doing 30kmh to get the full 100 lux.

and

http://en.bumm.de/products/dynamo-headl ... -iq-x.html

But I can't see anything on the Bumm website about required speeds to get the max lux out of the light. Does anyone know?

Can anyone recommend any other good lights?
  • MiniMalts
    Anyone?
  • marcusjb
    Luxos U - USB charging on board and a great light. Used them extensively for a couple of years now.
  • MiniMalts
    marcusjb wrote:
    Luxos U - USB charging on board and a great light. Used them extensively for a couple of years now.

USB charging on board? does that mean I won't need to the The Plug III?
  • marcusjb
    Correct. You won't get a good result doing both at the same time (i.e. charging stuff at night), but I generally charge up an Anker battery pack during the day and then have the light for the night riding.
  • marcusjb
    Basically, you have a switch on your handlebars for the light. This can turn it on and off, and then activate the boost mode (works for a few minutes of additional output, useful for tricky descents).

The USB charging is there, so charge a battery pack in a bar bag or tri bag.

179_Lenkertaster_neu.jpg
  • MiniMalts
    marcusjb wrote:
    Correct. You won't get a good result doing both at the same time (i.e. charging stuff at night), but I generally charge up an Anker battery pack during the day and then have the light for the night riding.

I assume that would be the same regardless of whether I have this set up or the IQ-X and Plug III?

Decisions decisions.

The IQ-X looks nicer and has more lux. :roll: