Carbon or Aluminium

captainzapp
captainzapp Posts: 3
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Long time reader first time poster, after some expert advice to help me buy a new bike.

Have been riding since May last year – mainly commuting a couple of times a week and the odd social ride with friends. Longest ride is 50km…however, I’ve certainly got the bug. Current bike is a Carrerra Tanneri, which is actually a CX bike, and was bought as a cheap bike to commute and go out with the family on – I’ve upgraded it to road tyres but then it’s also got one of those bike adapters to fit a child seat into, so no marginal gains here.

So, I’m looking to upgrade to a new bike (with the aim of riding a lot more this year) and have narrowed it down to the following options, with a budget of around £850.

Rose Pro SL 2000 - https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-sl-2000-bike-now-855927/aid:855966

My original choice, as the spec is great (full 105 groupset etc), it looks smart and gets fantastic reviews.

However, my work have started a new Cycle to Work scheme, so having a look at that and found the following has entered our scheme's price range.

Specialized Tarmac Sport (2015) – https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p73492/specialized-tarmac-sport-2015-road-bike

So the wheels aren’t as good (though doubt I'd notice), it’s not full 105 (though the brakes are the easiest/cheapest to upgrade at least), but it is carbon, and again well respected. Plus, slightly cheaper given the tax savings.

Issue with the Specialized is that it’s only available in 58cm frame – I’m 6ft 4” and 16 stone, so not ideal. Mate has said just get a longer seat post if needed?

Has anyone got any experience of these bikes, or similar carbon vs alum decision?

Thanks!

Comments

• smmjrr
    smmjrr Posts: 45
    Was sort of similar picked a alum bike last year to try cycling , really enjoyed it and was looking at some of the carbon 2015 bikes that were getting sold off, probably would just have used my alum bike again this year, but I ended up with a 2016 Tarmac Expert got a killer deal lower than the 2015 sale price, unfortunately due to weather here I have had no opportunities to get out on it, only managed 5 miles to try it, feels really good on the short 5 mile test I am desperate to get out on it, good luck with whatever you choose, sorry I cannot be of more help, Steve
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I'd go for the Rose myself, a lot of bike for not a lot of money (relatively speaking).

In terms of the Specialized, my advice would be don't try and fit yourself on to a bike that you do not think is the right size for you.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I'd go for the Rose - I got the Pro Sl 3000 last year as a 2nd bike and its amazing for the price. I've done 150mls rides on mine and its comfy for long miles but can really turn its hand to some speed and can handles well on tricky descents. I am taking my Rose this year to the Asturia's mt's and it going up (and down) the Alto de Angrilu as I am not risking taking my good bike abroad. Its performs better than some carbon bikes I have had which cost twice as much.

I've got rid of all my carbon bikes and now just have the Rose Alu and my good VN Ti bike. You know what, I am enjoying the feel of metal frames again. I have had many bikes but no matter which one I ride my times are exactly the same.
    Brian B.
  • Cheers for the advice.

Yeah, I am worried that the smaller frame of the Specilized will taint it somewhat, and I've been 'lusting' after the Rose for some time.

I think either way it's a massive step up!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Isn't the answer here for you to go to a Specialized dealer and sit on/ride a Tarmac in size 58 and also a bigger size and then take it from there.

If the 58 isn't right for you then you can discount it there and then. There's absolutely no point in trying to make a bike fit that isn't right for you.

Even if you end up going for the Rose, the information you get from sitting on some bikes (compare stack, reach, top tube measurements etc) will be invaluable when you come to choose a size.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    MrB123 wrote:
    Isn't the answer here for you to go to a Specialized dealer and sit on/ride a Tarmac in size 58 and also a bigger size and then take it from there.

If the 58 isn't right for you then you can discount it there and then. There's absolutely no point in trying to make a bike fit that isn't right for you.

Even if you end up going for the Rose, the information you get from sitting on some bikes (compare stack, reach, top tube measurements etc) will be invaluable when you come to choose a size.

This is good advice on bike sizing. Also be aware the tarmac has a lower front end and is geared for speed more than endurance road bikes which have a higher front end.